Looking a gift Horse in the Mouth

Packrat 6

OK, so here's the situation. Sunday, my uncle, (86 years old) was going to California to see my other surviving uncle and decided to drop by on the way. (I've had more company this month than a tavern advertising free beer.) When he got here he drags out this old rifle and says he wants me to have it. Didn't unwrap it then, just put it in the gun locker. Later, after dinner I asked him about the rifle, where he got it etcetera, and he tells me that he bought it in Costa Mesa, California, somewhere in the late 60's. Said he paid either $49.00 or $59.00 but couldn't remember for sure. Said it was an impulse buy and he pulled it off of a long rack but said they had some others in better shape, but they were way more expensive. (Knowing my uncle they were $69.00, but back then, that $10 was 2 hours labor for a Journeyman Plumber)

He took it with him back to Arkansas, intending to hunt with it, but it was way too heavy to carry and he kept forgetting to get ammo for it, so he never fired it, put it in a closet and it's been there for the last 60-70 years. After he went to bed, I unwrapped it and what he brought me was a Model 1912, Waffenfabrik Styr, Austria, Straight bolt, Chilean, Mauser. I kind of looked it over, all serial numbers matched, including the stock, but no cleaning rod and no bayonet. I thought I had me a nice, very clean, 7 x 57 Rifle to play with.

Yesterday, I went online to see what I could find out about it and ran into all kinds of warnings about converted Mauser's so went and checked it out and sure enough marked on the barrel is over stamped .308 Cal., CIA (Century International Arms), St. Alb. Vermont. OK, now I'm going to have to have it checked out by my local gunsmith for safety, but I played with it for a while yesterday and the action is as smooth as Hillary Clinton's lies, rifling is about 60-75% and the cartouches on the receiver and stock are almost non-existent, so it really has no value to a collector. Only thing I found that was obviously wrong was it takes two men and bulldozer to get the safety on and off. Another thing I found when I tore the bolt down is that the entire bolt, inside and outside and places not normally blued had been blued, including the firing pin and it doesn't look like an amateur job. Apparently these are supposed to be in the White. I called California this morning and asked if he had had the rifle repaired, re-blued or other work done on it and he said no, it was just as he bought it. The serial number (D7232) is at the end of the run so suppose they could have changed standards or a Chilean armorer did it for whatever reason.

I am also fascinated with the issue ramp sights since they go from 300 Meters to 2000 Meters and wonder if they are accurate at all. If it's safe to fire, might take it out and shoot some tracers or HEI (High Explosive Incendiary) rounds so I can see the trajectory and where they hit at various ranges. A definite flash and smoke when they hit. If you need to know where to get these, send me a private message or email. Don't want to end up in conflict with a site sponsor that may handle these, even though I haven't seen any advertised.

Anyway having taken up all of this space on this post, am in a quandary. Do I sportorize it when I can buy one already converted for about what the rifle is worth, or just clean it up and use it "as is" if it is deemed safe to fire? If not safe to fire, part it out, re-barrel?, or just go whole hog with a new barrel, custom bolt, and possibly a new trigger assembly with safety, although I know it will cost more than I could ever get out of it. BUT…there is the fun of doing it, however I could do it and still end up with a ***. Basically, is it worth building or restoring? Remember it is a gift, so have to be cautious with what I do. Know I'm going to get asked. What would YOU do? Anyone know anything about Mauser's? BTW, Goodwill Ind. won't accept it.

Would appreciate any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or anything else you care to say except that I wasted your time reading this…:). Is it worth even messing with? And I don't need a 102 year old wall hanger.

Would seriously like to hear some of your comments on what you would do. Net investment to date = $0.00.

Bruce
Sharp Shooter.gif This Smilie was liberated from another site! Feel free to use it til we get caught!...:D

Maybe I'm different but if my uncle gave me an old rifle I would just hold on to it. Where does it say we have to shoot em all.
If it is safe to shoot,,then shoot it.If not put it in the back of the safe and bring it out whenever you get thinking about family. It might mean something to ya someday. Or too a son or nephew? Who knows. JMHO

Digger,

Thanks for the reply. I never really intended to get rid of it, just looking for ideas, but if it is in my Gun locker it has to work or be totally incapable of shooting. Period.

I have 4 Grandkids and 7 Great grandkids, almost all of them trained or being trained to shoot as they get old enough and I don't want one of them grabbing it out after I'm gone and trying to shoot it if it isn't safe to shoot. Will probably end up having it re-barreled back into 7 x 57 since almost everything I read relates to the way it was converted, but maybe, just maybe, it could be a shooter and .308 is about all I shoot. I just don't know anything about Mauser's so thought I'd bounce it around a little.

Anyway, thanks for the response since it is a viewpoint I hadn't considered. If It is not safe to shoot at all, will probably drill through the chamber and install a drift so it can't be loaded and then restore it to pristine condition and tag where it came from.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Sharp Shooter.gif

I doubt a qualified evaluation would cost much. You could almost get a free one some places.

After that, depending on the outcome and what use you may have you could consider rebarreling it. Most times when I end up with a project gun I like to get it up and running.

Sourdough,

I like all of the weapons in the Gun Locker to be fully functional. What I'm worried about is that half the items on line say it isn't safe to shoot and half say it is. Here is what I'm worried about:
Click to enlarge.
Model 12 Blow out.jpg
Don't want one of my grandkids grabbing it up and trying to shoot it just because it is in my gun room. Unfortunately they don't say what caused it...What was he shooting, hot loads or just factory spec? Wrong Ammo? The only comment I could find was "one too many .308"s." I am planning on running the Rifle into Tucson Tuesday and dropping it off, but without shooting it, can the gunsmith even tell if it is safe? He can check the bore, rifling, and all the dimensioning, but can he tell me about the strength of the metals? New barrel, no problem, but if it needs a new receiver to be safe, why bother? If my uncle had given me a rusty old 1978 Subaru sedan with a blown engine and no brakes, should I park it in the front yard and proudly show it off? (Aside from the fact that the HOA would Kill me!)

I read the post about "Bias towards Mausers" in the Gunsmithing thread and while most of the talk was about K-98's, this Rifle is even older than a K-98! Don't get me wrong, I'm dying to shoot it, just don't want to be Dying, to shoot it! And I really don't even have room for it as you can see below:
Click to enlarge.
Gun Vault.jpg

Just kidding, I stole the picture from somewhere else, but wish my gun room looked similar. They both do have one thing in common though, they both have a floor!

Bruce

Sharp Shooter.gif

It's value to me would be purely sentimental.

If for you it's not that sentimental perhaps give it to a family member that would like it. Provide proper instruction with the transfer so your safety concerns are dealt with.

He thought enough of you to try to create another good memory. Match that by giving it to someone else in the family.

Firearms are more personal than Subaru's in my opinion.

Regardless of where the Rifle came from, if it is non-functional or dangerous to use, it should not leave anyones hands until it is made totally non-functional! Say I give it to my younger Brother and he lets one of his kids have it, somewhere down the line the tag stating that it is not to be shot will come off and someone will try to shoot it, possibly with fatal or injurious results. Seen it happen with someone else's family with a Damascus barrel and am not going there.

I've talked to my uncle and told him that it may be dangerous to shoot and he told me to just do with it whatever needed doing, including junking it, and that he had no sentimental value attached to and neither should I. He only gave it to me because he knew I liked old rifles. Thats where it stands right now. I'm just glad that he never tried to shoot it.

Just for the record, my attitude is that unless it has some intrinsic collectors value, a Rifle that can't be used, is called a club! If you put a bayonet on it then you have a pointy club and it has just about as much value as a rusted Subaru.

Wish I knew how to erase this entire thread. Was just looking for some alternate ideas, but it seems to have turned into something else.

Sharp Shooter.gif

Remember it is a gift, so have to be cautious with what I do.

Would appreciate any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or anything else you care to say except that I wasted your time reading this…:). Is it worth even messing with? And I don't need a 102 year old wall hanger.

Would seriously like to hear some of your comments on what you would do. Net investment to date = $0.00.

My apologies if my comment took the thread in a direction you did not intend. Re-read your thread, and it sounded like you were looking as much for conversation as anything else.

Harperc
My apologies if I came on a little strong. What I was looking for was that someone on the thread had either an old similar rifle or experience with the same rifle. The sentimentality factor never entered in to it, but that's what most of the posts were about.

I find that I should have posted my questions and comments over on the Mauser Forum, which I didn't know about until I started looking for "Chilean Mauser" online and after I looked at about 30 pictures and finally figured out exactly what I had. I finally got some of my questions answered, but not others so am taking it in to the Gunsmith tomorrow AM per his request and in a couple of days will maybe have some answers.

If it is safe to shoot, am going to leave it in .308 until I have tested the iron sights out to a 1000 Meters after my cataract surgery in November. The 7x57 round has about 10' more drop over 1000 yards and even though the sights go to 2000 meters, I don't know of anywhere around here to shoot it at that range. I'll be buying one of LRH's remote Camera setups and will probably record the whole thing and if I use the HEI bullets, there is no doubt about where the rounds hit. Will have to run the ballistics, but no big deal since except for windage, the vertical sights are fixed.

Anyway, just a few pictures so someone else can recognize one if they run into it.
Click to enlarge.
DSCN0790.jpg
Model 1912 Steyr Chilean Mauser Short Rifle. Straight bolt. 23 1/2" barrel
DSCN0789.jpg
The Chilean Cartouch was either very lightly punched or has been polished off. No idea why.
DSCN0804.jpg
Notice that the bolt has been blued, which is not common. Bolt and receiver are supposed to be in the white. Again, don't know why or who did it.
DSCN0794.jpg

You can click on any picture to enlarge it.

Bruce

I would definitley keep it as is. I probably wouldnt even fire it. the rifle isnt worth a lot but the story of your uncle and him thinking enough of you to give it to you is irreplaceable. Fire it if you want but I definitely woudnt change anything about it.

OK, got the Rifle back from the gunsmith who checked it all out and test fired it. says it is in excellent condition except someone put the front sight in backwards...?

This must be my lucky week, got the Chilean Mauser back from the Gunsmith and my Remington VTR all rebuilt and back from Remington and they are both good to go! (See misaligned Scope base holes in Gunsmithing)

Have decided to completely restore the Mauser except leave it in 308 for now and make the beautiful one from Shortgrass look puny...LOL That is one beautiful Rifle Shortgrass. Wish the Chilean crest on the receiver was readable on mine and not polished off. The only thing readable on mine is Modelo 19__. Not going with the modified bolt and special stock until I see what I can do with it stock.

I really want to Check out the accuracy of the iron sights at extended ranges, so will be working toward that end after my eyes get fixed next month.

Anyway, thanks for any and all input from those who responded.

Bruce

In the ear, right?

Sharp Shooter.gif Pig.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts