looking 4 bullets that beat the BC of bergers

BC is a funny thing, many take it as a written in stone number, it is not, its simply a number that allows you to get your projected trajectory to match up with actual trajectory, the number itself is meaningless, its matching the two trajectories that is critical, does not matter what number you use to get there as long as it matches up.

Thank You Kirby, I thought I was alone on this thought. BC's do differ from rifle to rifle and this is why I prompt people to go shoot in wind to compare bullets, and quit playing in the house with that computer program. Even if Dr. Emit Brown did write it. Use the program after you have real drops and drifts. Get the program to match up to REAL field results and don't worry about numbers. The proof is in the pudding!! And for me the bullet that drifts less in wind wins.

For those that do not know him:

untitled-1.jpg

Jeff,

I agree 100%. I have used bullets from pretty much all the the major bullet makers and most of the custom bullet makers just as most of us here on LRH have done. Some of the listed BC values were pretty darn close, others make you sit back and wonder what the hell they were thinking!!! :D

In the end, as you stated, they all need to be tested out on the range and proven to mean anything if we are looking for consistancy. In my opinion, if a company offers any ballistic information, its a starting point only and you will be much happier as a shooter if you go into a project with this state of mind that you will need to do most of the fine tuning on your own, hell thats the fun part anyway!!!

I also agree, if you can get them to shoot in your rifle, the bullet that drifts the least amount is the winder with me as well!!! Well said.

Thanks Kirby, I just see too much time put in behind the computer program and not enough in the field. You want to know if a 250 gr or a 300 gr will drift less in your rifle then load em up and go look for some wind. I know why I shoot big bullets and it ain't because they drift more.

And you are correct, the stated BC's are just starting points, your personal rifle WILL be different if you shoot it enough to tell the difference. Man some of the numbers I have used would make a bullet maker cry, or laugh. But I get my share of first round hits.

Jeff

I want to add that drops are the last thing I would look at. I want the least drift I can get. The wind is king and I need to level the field if I can. Shoot some groups on a windy day, you will learn more than staying in cuz its windy and not a good day to shoot.:rolleyes:

Jeff

10-4 brother!!!! If I did not know better you sounds like another Montana boy, oh, thats right, YOU ARE!!! Wind is always a problem for us up here.

Hell we hit cat 2 hurricane winds twice last week, did not even make the news!!!

Kirby and Jeff

That was my point exactly, my post was in response to the statement that Wildcat Bullets "CLAIMED" higher BC's than everyone else.
I have used both Richard's and Paul's bullets with great satisfaction, but as stated "Published BC's" from any one is only a starting point for any bullet in a particular rifle.

Dave

Hell you guys don't know what wind is! You wanna come shoot in little Ol' New Zealand! Our mountains stick way up out of a our skinny little country and catch every darn bit of wind in the southern hemisphere, or that's what it seems like when we're up there trying to shoot long range!:D:D:D
Anyway, you're quite right, minimizing wind drift is all that matters so long as you have a good accurate rangefinder and system for accounting for air density changes etc, and you shouldn't be shooting at big game at long range if you haven't.
Bryan's G7 BC's are always my starting point for any new bullet when I start field testing, and they are always pretty close to what I get from drop testing. There are small variances at times, but generally due to something unaccounted for in my rifle/scope setup, or some vertical from the field conditions of the time. Yes, you need to verify all BC's in all rifles, but Bryan's G7's are the only ones that have come close enough to get me on target from the get-go.
Actually, I have to add that since I've been trying some of Dan's Cutting Edge bullets, their listed BC's have been bloody close as well. Especially when you consider Dan lists G1's that are more velocity dependent, and we're pushing them significant faster than the speed he calculated his G1's off.
We've been testing some new acoustic electronic target trickery on my 1000 yard range recently that the NZ NRA and F-Class boys are hoping to install at their ranges throughout the country. This stuff uses a 5 microphone setup and should be able to give extremely accurate remaining velocities and therefore BC's which will be very useful each time a new bullet comes out.

Yes wind drift is all that matters, but the best combination of high BC and velocity is what gives you the least wind drift, and accurate BC comparisons are always going to be your starting point when choosing a bullet for long range.
That's my 2 cents anyway!:)
Greg

Amen Brother AGAIN!!! :D

If your windier then the east slope of the rocky mountains, maybe I don't want to come down and hunt in your fine country!! LOL

Have you found the cutting edge bullets tricky or finicky to load for?

Kirby,
Don't worry, your/our big guns will cut through!
We've found the LD-HPBT-Max bullets extremely easy to load for, and very accurate at long range. The more aggressive Max-Agg's have been slightly more finickety.
The 338 252gn LD-Max D64 bullet really performs in the medium capacity 338's like our 338 Thor (338/416 imp), where the lighter weight and ease of driving allows us to push them at over 3400fps. They give up nothing much in windage to the 300gn'ers at this velocity to around 1000 yards anyway. We've pushed them at 3550fps out of the 338 Lunatic's.
Dan tells me he's going to look at producing tipped versions of these in the future, now they've perfected this technology for their Raptor bullets. That will ensure they have great terminal performance as well.
Greg

Thanks, I have been thinking about trying some of their 375 bullets in my 375 Allen Magnum since Jamison International went belly up and they were the distributers for the 350 gr SMK.

Kirby,
Definitely worth a try as their BC's aren't exaggerated. We haven't built a 375 version yet, as have been waiting to see if the bullets/twist rates etc all work out. The 338's are going so well there's also little incentive for us, as the 375's will have to be heavier to be as shootable. But with their 400gn with a suggested BC of .98 or better at AM/Lunatic velocities, this could certainly be the new long range hammer!
Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.