Look out!! I'm heading to Colorado for elk in a month.

Dave King

Look out!! I\'m heading to Colorado for elk in a month.

Looks like my schedule is aligned correctly so I can wedge in a elk hunt in Colorado. Cheryl and I will head out about the 12th or 13th of October and figure to be back home about the 23rd. Currently I'm planning on a little side trip so I have a little extra time set aside, first season is 15 - 19 October (inclusive). I'm going to hunt near the New Mexico border in Conejos county, we'll set up camp Friday the 14th at (37.00726 -106.26727) and then spend the last day or two of season at the Narrow Guage Motel in Antonito. I figure to head up toward Gunnison to visit a Texican friend camped near the east base of Sheep Mountain (37.94511 -106.68999) near the La Garita Wilderness in Saguache county.

I'll be taking along 'The Monkey Blaster' (375 H&H) as my primary rifle and a trusty 308 Win for backup. I have an either sex tag so someone should end up with some meat (probably my hosts, the Montoya family over in Manassa, CO)

Should be a good trip and I'll sock away about $2.3 billion ahead of time so I'll be sure to have enough money for truck fuel.

Re: Look out!! I\'m heading to Colorado for elk in a month.

Dave King,
Goodness, you'll really be close the the border, if my calcs are right, on a 180° bearing will put you 90° to the border line with New Mexico and only 1589 yards away. It might be a little to far away though for the 'The Monkey Blaster' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also will be Elk hunting in Colorado, Season: 11/16/05--11/20/05 Units: 071, 072, 076, 711. It's only for bull Elk and will be using my well liked 300 RUM with 200 grn Accubond... @ 3189 f/s good enough for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dave, if you figure a way to spend less than $2.3 billion in fuel please let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Also you should be able to get a lot of Conejos in that place. Good Luck and Good Hunting to you.

Javier O Moncada.

We come up to the hunting camp site going west from Antonito then (sw) at Mogote past Canon then left turn at the 'T' intersection. The 'road' leads us up the mountain and we cross into Rio Arriba county (New Mexico) then back into Conejos country and turn off (north) at the first major (improved) jeep trail.

We also hunt over near Pinon Hills (37.13728 -105.80249) Sego Springs and Flat Top. Mostly it's just a vacation as I have little need for the meat, my wife and I just like the time in the mountains, camping, the camp fire stories and meeting new folks.

The Monkey Blaster is a little short on range for a 1500 yard shot but it'll do a 600 yard without a problem. I'm using 260 Accubonds at just a little over 2800fps and I have the Leupold M3/LR (3.5x10) set for the load.

I have yet to see a rabbit there but I've seen a few mule deer, some antelope and elk.

I just made reservations at the Narrow Guage Motel for the 17th-19th, got the 'commercial' rate (given to hunters) of $41 per night. Looks like I'll only sleep in a tent 3 nights but they'll be memorable none-the-less.

Good luck to you on your hunt.

Some of the best grouse shooting I ever got into was while scouting for elk. The blues and ruffs both had congregated out in a meadow and were feasting on grasshoppers. We both got a limit in about 15 minutes.

I would throw a 20 gauge and a box of #6s in the gear pile somewhere. No such thing as having too much fun. Grouse is much more tasty than track soup from my personal experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Any of u guys passing thru Pueblo let me know so i can buy you lunch, dinner, whatever-- 719-564-5609

Several years back on a hunt up in the La Garita there were a lot of Blue grouse but down in Conejos I don't recall seeing any. I'm not too much on bird hunting, sometimes I do a little Ruffed grouse hunting when I visit Wisconsin just to reseed childhood memories.

I'll keep an eye out for them though and maybe on another trip I'll give it a try.

20 gauge?? I thought a 20 was for girls, small boys and Air Force types... I have a 12, two of them in fact, I shoot one from each shoulder and only use magnum loads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sscoyote.. We'll see if I can slow down enough for a stop. It's just not in my nature to slow the truck down once I'm on a roll. I figure to travel about 1000 miles each day and that'll stick Pueblo in the middle of a run on the way out. Maybe on the way back as I don't have a fixed short run return date.

Hey Dave,

THere will be a bunch of us just a bit north of ya from the 3rd to the 16th of Oct. in the Medicine Bow area of Wyo. Hunting goats and mulies...if ya swing through let us know...!

sscoyote,
That's a noble heart. I personally appreciate it much. You ever come to Carson City, Nevada, send me an e-mail we'll take care of you!

[ QUOTE ]
20 gauge?? I thought a 20 was for girls, small boys and Air Force types... I have a 12, two of them in fact, I shoot one from each shoulder and only use magnum loads.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. Good sense of humor... makes me think of John Wayne! Although I wouldn't mind having a 20 gauge, I can see me expressing my self the same way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would also humor the same way folks that would use muzzle breaks, just to humor, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but really I'm getting soft, one of these days I'll be getting me one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.