Longrange woodchucks with 308 bad idea???

Ive used 130gr HP from Speer's (Mfg#: SPER2005) on hogs in 308, 30-06 and 300 WM they are pipe bombs in a .30 cal. rifles. Play around with the bullet, find its sweet spot for your rifle and your in the game.

Ive used 130gr HP from Speer's (Mfg#: SPER2005) on hogs in 308, 30-06 and 300 WM they are pipe bombs in a .30 cal. rifles. Play around with the bullet, find its sweet spot for your rifle and your in the game.
I'll second that!! I spent a lot of time finding a light bullet for my 30-06, and the Speer 130grHP and IMR-4064 was the ticket. The big red mist cloud lets you know you got him. I've turned numerous hogs inside out with the 130's. They also fly straight enough that I cut a quarter in half at 80yds (it was sideways).

Son-in-law uses a 308 shooting 165 Nosler BT's and they perform very well. He shoots 180 Hornady Interbond from his 300 WSM and they do the job, but do not open like the BT's. I prefer V-Maxes, but they are from a 243 Win.

Hunterbob I though missing/ bad shot placement was my problem ty first shot was 257 yards and I went out and there was blood and hair and I said maybe it was just a bad shot so I decided I was going to take the 308 to one of my shotgun holes and shot the second one at no more then 10 yards so I no they weren't misses, but for the one who asked what I consider long range I'm comfortable with my 22-250 to around 250 everything after that I try and use the 308 but I'm comfortable on a woodchuck a 400 450 on a calm day lol may not be the furthest shots but seems far to me

If you are staying within 450 there is no need for a 175 berger the quicker opening 30 Cal. bullets will have better results BUT if you plan on going long shoot what shoots best. I shoot one bullet in each rifle, its not easy to have several loads and become good with each.
Aim small miss small the vitals are not much of a target but if you hit them they are done with what ever bullet you use. If not they will drag guts or their *** shot off back to a hole .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.