Longest kill for my 338 Federal DPMS

Ken 338

This past deer season I had a chance at a shot on a average size doe. It was further out than what I was comfortable with since I just got the rifle a little before season openned and hadn't had a chance to get out for some longrange shooting with it. Really didn't think I would have much of a chance at it but since I hadn't seen much anything else I figured I would give it a try. I was somewhat familiar with the balistics of the 200 grain Federal Fusion ammo I was shooting and adjusted for the 10-15 mph right to left wind and the range difference from my 100 yard zero. I have been goin for head shots since my first kill pretty much destroyed a shoulder on the exit wound. Took the shot and she dropped where she stood. Got down to where she was and I ended up hitting about 4 inches low and 2 inches right of where I wanted. Have to admit little luck was involved but it lets me know a little of what I have to work with. I know it's not a true "long range" shot but for me I'll take it. By the way it plotted out on the map around 425 yards.

Started deer huntin the past couple years and love the sport end of it, but my family and I also love eatin the deer as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.