Long time lurker finally signed on

cfvickers

Hi everyone, I have lurked this site since long before I joined any of the other forums I am on. Saw a couple posts regarding the Savage 111 LRH one of which made reference to me so I thought I would join and reply. I like to shoot, I am very interested in shooting long range, but have only had one opportunity, I was carrying enough gun but didn't have confidence in my own ability and the buck was unbelievable. I passed of course, then got chewed by the land owner. I have been interested in long rage shots since I was 12 years old and witnessed my mother shoot a doe at 550 yards with her old Ruger 77 in 7x57. Sounds unlikely but it is the only gun she has ever hunted with and she knows exactly what it will do out to that range, the deer dropped in its tracks. She hunts farmland and always has I have always hunted woods. I am 33 now and she still uses that gun regularly for 400+ yard shots with success. My dad of course made me a gun nut and I have over years acquired several very capable rifles. My favorite calibers are of the 6.5 variety. The first deer I ever dropped in its tracks was with a 6.5x55 and I have been sold on them ever since. I now have 2 6.5-284's and a 300 win mag for long range stuff. and 6.5x55's and a 25-06 for medium range deer. My longest shot on a deer though believe it or not with a ML, it as just over 200 yards with a 54 cal underhammer and a 240 gr. sabot and a standard aimpoint sight. That is just as far as anything as walked out giving me a shot I was capable of with perfect confidence. I am all about "ethical" and I see ethical like most, as what someone knows his/her abilities will give them complete confidence in a clean kill. If you can do it at 1500 yards, awesome, if ethical would be at 100 thats ok too, as long as you know your limitations. I shoot almost every day, I have a 200 yard range with a backstop in my back yard. I reload for many calibers and can also be found on Dougs message board and Reloaders Nest. I just got this newest 6.5-284 Savage LRH and plan to actually learn to shoot long range targets and critters with it. It is definitely accurate and capable. I was floored when a friend who shoots competition was trying to think of a way to mae my loads more accurate when I said I shot a half inch group at 175 yards. I wasn't sure I could hold it any more steady than that. Before owning this gun I have only one that was capable of placing shots that close at that range, and its best was 3/4 at 225. That gun is my standard looking Rem 700 LSS .300 wm built before the LSS came to the market in the rem. Custom Shop, it has an extremely long throat and like 190 gr. bullets loaded very long. With the right load this gun will put five shots in a single entry point hole. You can't measure its 100 yard groups center to center, as you get a single, not ragged, round .308 inch hole. But I hate feeding that thing powder, which is what I like about the 6.5-284. It is more economical for me to shoot. Hunting bullet of choice in all calibers is the Berger VLD Hunting cause I like lung shots when I can get them and big exit wounds. Not so worried about the meat loss, I don't like tracking deer. With the .300 I generally use a 168 VLD to hunt ddeer with because the 190 is just unnecessary and I have had one run with the 300 but I had an amazing blood interstate directly to it, Literally a four foot wide sprayed, non stop blood trail. With the 6.5x55 I have good luck with sierra game kings as well. I have never seen a deer shot in the chest cavity with that bullet moving a measily 2500 fps, move an inch, and I am at 17 count with that little gun and the game king. Anyway, just thought I would share a little about myself and my experience. Although I hope to learn a lot about long range shooting from you guys, I bring some decent reloading and standard range shooting experience. I have a good understanding of ballistics and I keep up with, and have experience with most available bullets. I am not fond of Barnes x of any variety but they are good in my experience, like most hollow points, at impact velocities below 3100 FPS. And I shot the biggest deer of my life last year with an Accubond and was unimpressed with it as a white tail projectile. Very small exit wound and the deer ran 50 yards and I hit every vital organexcept one lung, he was quartering away, I hit the liver, one lung and the heart and broke through the front shoulter blade at an angle but still had only a .3 inch exit wound. Ok thats all about me and my shooting experience. Yall have a good day.

Sorry to ramble. I am pretty oppinionated and wanted to go ahead and announce the basis of my oppinions. they aren't coming from my butt. I also read just about everything that applies to my interests.

Aside from hunting and shooting I fly fish and build fly rods. I have taken a gunsmithing course from Penn Foster as well just for the sake of knowledge, and it was pretty informative and I picked up quite a bit from it. Much of it I already knew but there was a lot for me to learn and it confirmed or denied a lot of what I thought I knew.

Last edited:
Couple Pictures.

The 111 LRH 6.5-284 with the first 3 shot group I fired with it.
100_1233.jpg

My Husqvarna Crown Grade 6.5-284 rechambered from 6.5x55
100_1230.jpg

Me and my big deer I killed last December.

100_0463.jpg

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. The wood in the second pic is gorgeous, what type of wood is it?

Welcome aboard!

Shoot almost every day.......envy envy envy:) I'm not allowed to shoot on Sunday - very strict wife.:)

And you posted pics right off the bat!!! You'll do!

Watch out for winmag though, he's full of hot air.:D

Keep posting.

cfvickers, Roy's only kidding:), the only hot air from winmag is that which exits his barrel each time he shoots. Both Roy and winmag are good folks and I've learned more than a thing or two from both. If it's Winchester related winmag's your guy and Roy...well he knows alot and I give serious consideration to his advice. Both IMHO are fine gentlemen.

Hang around here long enough and you'll find most folks are decent good people, always willing to help or share. Coupled with very very little profanity and over inflated egos and it doesn't get much better than this.

Roy and winmag thanks for setting such a fine example of what LRH is all about. Have a Good Sunday and Father's Day.

Chas

Thanks Guys. Chas1 I thik that is some variety of either Dark tiger maple, or french walnut. I can't remember. but it is the factory wood.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts