Long time hunter passed away.....

Sendero_Man

We lost Walt Ventling this morning to the Good Lord. He would have been 100 this Sept.

I have been elk hunting with Walt since the early 80's as a young man. We packed into the Thorofare region of Wyoming, 31 miles on horseback. Walt had been hunting the same country since the early 50's. It is located off the southeast corner of Yellowstone and is the most remote spot in the lower 48.

I learned so much from him. From packing horses and mules to hunting techniques.

I got to thinking, being born in 1908, there will never be a man alive that has seen the things in life that Walt did.

From the first forms of mechinized transportation, space flight, the great depression, the Wars, the technological advances, endless.... We will never see the kinds of changes that he lived through.

Walt made his last hunting / pack trip in 1998. At the ripe age of 90 years old. He still saddled and threw a pack like a man half his age. He was a mountain of a man, both physical and mental. He was a mentor, a friend, a Pioneer....

He will be missed.

I imagine him and my Great Grandfather are having a rather delightful time right now.

It pains me each and every time a true man is lost..

My Greatest Respects..

Sendero,

Sorry to hear about your friend passing. Men of his likeness are truly scarce nowdays. And I have to agree with you; what a life he must have lived and what tales could he have told.

Condolences

Sendero

Sorry for your loss brother.

I find it comforting though, that there will be one more MAN keeping the campfire going when I get there.

Southpaw

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.