Long range with a sporter barrel ?

i'm going to put a full bed Hogue stock on it, and change the trigger. Should I go with a Jewel or a Timney ? Or if you guys have a better suggestion for the Ruger M77 MkII let me know.

Edit: Guess Im going with Timney, I cant find any other companies that make one for the Ruger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Jewel makes a trigger for a Ruger. Could be wrong.

Timney and Rifle Basix do as far as I know.

When I start loading the A-Max bullets, should I start out by seating them close to the lands, and work them back, or load them short and work outwards ?

When I start loading the A-Max bullets, should I start out by seating them close to the lands, and work them back, or load them short and work outwards ?
I've seen pressures increase in 2 instances when you have realized what a max or near max charge of pwdr is.

I tend to always start AT the lands. You will get 2 immediate pieces of information this way: 1) add pwdr until you get pressure signs to see what max is in this rifle, 2) you go the other direction and begin seating deeper.

In 2 rifles I noticed that when the max pwdr charge was found while bullets were at the lands, the pressure spiked again when they were about .070 from the lands again, starting to take up pwdr space. Everything in b/w was completely safe.

I just always start at the lands. That method has worked for me so I will not change it.

Just a little FYI, your probly not going to be able to seat those 208g AMAX to the lands and still use it as a repeater in that Ruger. Rugers magazines are a bit shorter then say that of a Remington.

I also tend to seat my bullets right at the lands for a starting point. Just make sure you start low in powder charge and work up and you'll be fine.

Timney makes good triggers. Set it to about 1.5-2# and your ready to roll.

On the triggers, I meant to write that if you want to go 1 pound, Jewel is the way to go. More than that, Timney is great. I also really like the Shilen triggers.

I usually start near the lands .005" or so. I don't in general like to seat into the lands for a variety of reasons. When I've gone closer than .005", I've found an occasional bullet that will get to the lands and cause a spike, could be a slight malformed bullet ?? I've also seen bullets pull out of the cartridge upon extracting a loaded round, dumping the powder into the action. Many will say that as long as you have enough neck tension, it won't happen; however all it takes is one split neck and you have a mess.

I like to stay close to the lands, in order to give me all the powder capacity I can get. If you can get good velocity/accuracy close to the lands, there is no reason to seat them deeper (unless you have a short magazine).

The above is what works for my rifles, your mileage may certainly vary.

AJ

I have a rifle to hunt with, so Im just going to be using this one as a single shot anyway.

By the way, my mag box is 3.433"

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.