Long Range Targets

Bearwalk

I have been learning so much here, I wanted to contribute something back to the site.

Lately, I have been experimenting with DIY long range targets. I can't shoot steel at one of my ranges and I don't always have a partner, so here's what I came up with:

I take an Elmers 20"x30" foam board. 3/16" thickness works great. I can get them for $1.50 on sale. Next, use some masking tape or electrical tape to mask the target profile you want. I just use a simple cross with "half lines" at six inches off-center for grouping estimation.

Next, I use Rustoleum marking paint to spray the target. I use fluorescent orange and it works great. One coat works best. One "extended" can will do three targets.

Next color in your profile with black marker, if you like, or just leave it white. Note, it is very difficult to draw on the marking paint after the fact. It is very grainy and ruins the marker. I can usually draw an 8" circle if I'm careful, but that's about it. Careful not to chip the paint.

That's it! The rounds flake the paint almost like "shoot n sees". I can see .308 hits at 600 yds w/ my spotting scope. 300 yds with no scope is visible. I also use orange 3/4" and 1 1/2" round labels, that I purchase at Staples, to cover up my hits and extend the life of the target.

I figure I have $2.50 into each target.

I hope this is useful to some of you. Enjoy!

Very creative. The Shoot-n-see's are pretty expensive, especially for the larger ones.

I put up two posts made from rebar and string the orange construction fencing (kind with the holes in it) between the two and then use laundry pins to hold my targets onto the fencing. I got mine free, it was left in the corner of a lot after a construction job was finished and two posts from a 10ft piece of 1/2" rebar cost me $4 at Lowes.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.