Long range target scopes?!?

Str8aim

I am very new to the long range shooting world, but very interested in learning more from people that have done it before. I am working on putting together a new gun to start shooting long range targets. Most of my shooting has been done at targets ranging from 300- 870 yards. Most of my distance limitations are due to the .223 I am shooting. I have the gunsmith for the gun but wanted to get more input on what type of scope to get?

I have a vortex pst 6-24 on my varmint gun and I like it, but I have noticed some issues at long range with it. Crosshairs defiantly block a fair bit of the target at full power(FFP). At distances over 1000 yard it seems to be a little under powered?

My goal would be to compete someday at one of the long range shoots in my area.

I wanted to see about getting some information on what shooters are using for scopes? What are some of the pitfalls in long range scopes?

Right now I have a limited budget of $1200 for the scope. Is that even reasonable to consider for starting out?

All information is appreciated and I look forward to hearing your opinion.
Thanks
Newbe

I recently purchased a Sightron 3series 10-50 with fine cross hair for long distance competition.
It is very clear. I shoot out to 500 meters. And I wanted the FCH, because it allows you to hold off slightly much better than a dot. My only complaint is that the side focus knob is very tight and a bugger to move. Paid $900 for it; good deal.

If you want an ultra-fine crosshair, 1,000 yard close-ups, and have the coin to drop on it...The March-X 8-80x56 scope is available.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.