long range steel targets - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by drpbroun5, Dec 21, 2006.

1. drpbroun5

drpbroun5 Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of getting together the equipment that I'll need to learn long range hunting. I already have the rifle, a 300 Jarrett. It shoots a 175 gr SMK at 3450 fps. I do not have an existing range in my area where I can shoot the distances that I desire. I will be using a friends farm. It means that my targets will have to be portable, moveable by my self. I'm not sure of where I can obtain the needed targets at a price I can afford. Do any of y'all have any suggestions? I would love to have a LaRue target, but I can't afford one. I am thinking that I probably need to go with a steel plate (gong) type. What kind of stand or hanging apparatus do you recommend for these targets? Are there any plans or drawings? How thick does the plate need to be? I'm told I should buy only AR500 steel or tougher. Correct? Where do I get it? I would appreciate any recommendation(s) that I can get from you learned ones. Thanks!
    Paul

2. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Do a search for AR500. Lot of great info already posted.

3. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

Paul,

I use several targets from R&R the self resetting "flash" targets are great I use several of them in my long range classes. You can find them at www.RandRRacingOnline.com Tell Robert I sent you.

4. Mountainsheep

Mountainsheep Well-Known Member

For an economical & portable solution, you might try suspending chain from a tall sawhorse built with 2x4s and the temporary leg supports from your local lumber supply. As for gongs (metal targets), I would consider making a three-sided frame from small channel stock to attach to the chain & to hold the target metal. As for getting that, you might try a local scrap dealer to get rough-cut plate to slide into the frame. I’m very involved in the metalworking industry & I can tell you that AR500 is very tough, very expensive, expensive to cut & expensive to ship. While it might not be as cosmetically pleasing, throwaway scrap plates would be portable and considerably less expensive. JMHO

Dave

5. lazylabs

lazylabs Well-Known Member

Depending on what your friends farm...... worn out metal disk from an offset are often about 14" dia(elk vitals size)and when hung from a chain work good. If you punch holes in them they are free and weld easily.

6. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Do a seaarch on targets, we have covered this extensively. Suggest you watch out for some old swing-sets for hanging steel targets, they are usually free and work great. We shot some standard steel plates today at 500 with two or three different .308 Win. bullets. Essentially the 1/4 plate did not do well, significant divots and concave shape after a half-dozen hits. 3/8" did much better, very slight concave, no divots. 1/2" was fine, withstood the hits very well.

AR500 is the best but not needed at longer ranges depending on the caliber. We practice a lot with .308 Wins and they will not beat up steel plates at 700. I have seen big plates of soft steel go concave from hitting them with .338 Lapuas, all you do is switch them around and shoot the bend out.

The target Shawn mentioned is very good. Also check out www.lvsteeltargets.com for some nice AR500 reactive targets that are affordable.

7. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Shawn,

What model was that one you had when I was down hunting with you.

I need to order one of dem!!

Kirby Allen(50)

8. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

I went to the local scrapyard and found some cinder block molds that r perfect for shooting at. They're heat-treated but not brittle, and a bullet can't touch them. I bought 800 lbs. of it, so we could set up our own shoots if we wanted to.

I came up with the most portable frame system i could think of, and it's working perfectly for us. It consists of 3 lengths of rebar, 2 copper or galvanized plumbing T's, and S hooks to hang the tgts. with. Just pound 2 rebar into the ground, put the T's on the top of the rebar, raise them slightly, and slide the other rebar thru it. Then hang steel from it. Quick, simple, cheap, and portable.

9. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

I found some old steel mounting plates off some train tracks that had been discarded with some rusty spikes. I went to the hardware store and bought some Grade 8 bolts to plug the holes where the spikes would be, bought some heavy chain to add additional mass, and fitted some hooks on the ends of the chain to hang from a weight rack I found at my fiancee's apartment trash cans. Looks like it will work like a champ. Its about 3/4" thick in the middle and maybe 3/8" on the ends. I'll get it out the range soon to test it out.

10. drpbroun5

drpbroun5 Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. I'll be trying to hit whatever target I'm using with heavy hunting loads such as the 300 Jarrett, 7 Rem Mag, and maybe one day a 338 Edge (Shawn, I hope so some day). I would think that I need some heavy duty targets to hold up to this pounding. Ian, I will do a search as you suggested. I'm new to this forum (and sport) thus did not know that I could do a search. I have now discovered how. Thanks again. I will appreciate any other suggestions.
    Merry Christmas all!
    Paul

11. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

Kirby,

The one I had was the standard flash target for 50 BMG's. The standard one work well for almost everything until you start driving the 300's up in the 2750+ range those bullets and velocities will flip the target out of the holder most of the time ouit to 500-600 yards. The 50 model with not do this at any range but will still flash out to 2000 yards with the impact energy of a Lapua, Edge, 240 gr Ultra Mag etc. Talk to Robert and tell him you want the 50 target I got. I'll try to post a pic here. The nice part is that they break down into 3 piece to pack around and last forever with even smokin fur rifles.

12. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Shawn,
    I shot some of those targets a while back during at a Leupold show-and-tell, they are superb. Your buddy is going to get some business from a couple of range-builds I will be involved with in '07.
    I have never seen how they fold down but that would be a handy feature.
    I have a deer and coyote now in AR500 and they are more interesting to shoot than standard targets, sort of like round targets and critter targets for archery practice I suspect.
    Those big boomers you guys shoot will punish a target much more than our lowly .308's. I will be shooting a .338 Lapua next summer so will have to toughen-up my targets or they will go to heck, but most are soft steel. Believe the easiest way other than hardened plate will be to go to 1/2" or thicker, will be much heavier to tote and handle.

13. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

The R&amp;R targets don't fold the simply lift apart into 3 pieces, the target, the frame, and the splash guard. Even on the 50BMG target I have, the pieces are very packable for some distance. The AR500 is super tough @ 100 yards the Edge won't pock it unless you hit right on the very edge of the target. If you hit a full bullet diameter on the plate it simply splatters of the plate. The 50BMG target will still flash part of the card with a 6.5-284 @ 1276 yards so they still work with the lighter calibers at reasonable distances. If you can hit the target and not get it to flash you surely don't want to try to punch an animal at that distance. If you are not a member of the smokin fur club (a Edge, Lapua, Allen Mag owner) just get the standard flash target. The standard is much lighter and reacts better for the lighter calibers. The standard will work well even for the smokin fur guys as long as you use distances over 800 yards. I know Robert really well and he is a good guy, I pay the same for them as anyone else, he just makes a great target.

14. captdavid

captdavid Well-Known Member

I bougnt the perfect thing from an outfit in Arazona, I believe. I'm having a oldtimers moment now and can't bremember the name. A hanging frame, a 4" and an 8" gong were less than 150 deliverd. Biger and smaller gongs were avaliable. If someone dosen't know the game I'll find it. capt david