Long Range Shotgun?

Distantfoe, Don't want to appear ignorant, but I've not heard of a swing lock muzzleloader. What type of ignition, propellant, and trigger? Who makes it? Thanks for the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Zimm, I slug hunt in Ia also, and I would recommend buying the Savage 210 bolt slug gun. It should be around $400 new and is a very good shooter. It does kick like a mule, which could be alleviated somewhat by a good recoil pad. The trigger sucks on this gun, but also can be fixed. The thing can shoot however, which is why I've owned two of them. I sold my first one to buy a Tar Hunt, but could not find a used one so I just bought another Savage. Mine have both preferred the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold sabot slugs at 1900 fps, and I've killed several deer at distances over 200 yards.
Dave, I'm curious why you switched away from the Savage, as I've seen much better results from them versus the Remmys with candilever barrels unless you pin the receivers to make them tighter. Cowman

Cowman

Quote: "The trigger sucks on this gun,..."

The stock was a little off for me also, the grip to trigger distance is a little long for my liking. My trigger finger has had a rough life, amputated tip (~3/8ths inch) and I managed to also sliced off most of the "pad" (fingerprints). This particular finger is pretty sensitive and extremely so in cold weather and using an ugly trigger and having the reach a bit long is not something I like.... the Savage went, as have the Mossberg pumpguns.

The longest shot I ever made on a deer was with the Savage and Lightfields (well over 200 yards) but I've made some fair distance shots with the Rem 870 and Coppersolids.

My Remington cantilever shoots well, I only use Lightfield (2 3/4") nowadays and use rifle for the longer ranges (I'd still take a 200 yard shot with the Lightfields and a good broadside deer).

I emailed Hastings to see what they can offer. I have found a very nice saddle to compliment my gun. I would still be able to use my rifled sites if need be. I now need a shotgun scope that would be able to take some serious abuse. Last weekend it snowed 10 inches and was around negative 10 while we where hunting. I had about a quarter of inch of ice on my barrel at times. Other guys in the groups scopes and red dots either fogged up or didnt work. What would you recommond for deer. I need something that is going to be extremely durable/solid. I hunt some pretty nasty steep hills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zimm, I would stick with something simple, like a 4x Leupold or Nikon. Less stuff to go wrong, and both have excellent glass with a lifetime warranty. Slug guns are hard on scopes.. so a reputable scope is a plus. Slap some Butler Creek or Leupold scope covers on it and it should serve you well through some crappy weather.
However, if you are making 250-300 yard running shots consistantly with your current rig(smoothbore 1100), you may wish to consider some long range glass like Nightforce, US optics for your new rig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck Cowman

Zimm, Since you are going for long shots, I would go with a Burris Full Field II 6X with 17 feet field of view. I would send to the factory for the ballitic plex reticle change out. Close shots you have your open sights, anything beyond 50 yds your scope will come on line. The Burris is tough and the fixed power even more so. The ballistic plex will allow you to hold over with more precision. Just a thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

couple points.

If you are shooting a AL48, and it is not at least an improved clylinder, then quit. The AL48 has a long tapered bore and tight bore, and as of mid 1970s all slugs went to .730 and that is cylinder bore.

Depending on what your choke is you could damage the barrel. Remington Sluggers (.690) were the last slugs you could shoot in mod or full guns and they do not make those anymore.

You can take a 1100 and have a smith drill and tap the side of the receiver and put in a short threaded screw to "pin" the barrel to the frame. That will tighten up groups consideraby. that is basically what they do with the Tar Hunt 870s, they take an oversize ER Shaw barrel and pin it.

Better yet, look on the internet boards for a Mossberg 695 bolt action slug gun (retail $259). Comes with ported 22" rifled barrel. Mine groups 2" or less at 100 with Fed Prem 2 3/4 Barnes Expander slugs. Dead on at 100 drop is 12-14" at 200. Tried the 3" models, kicked the snot out of you and accuracy was the pits.

BH
Big thing with slugs, you have to find what your gun likes.

[ QUOTE ]
couple points.

If you are shooting a AL48, and it is not at least an improved clylinder, then quit. The AL48 has a long tapered bore and tight bore, and as of mid 1970s all slugs went to .730 and that is cylinder bore.

Depending on what your choke is you could damage the barrel. Remington Sluggers (.690) were the last slugs you could shoot in mod or full guns and they do not make those anymore.

You can take a 1100 and have a smith drill and tap the side of the receiver and put in a short threaded screw to "pin" the barrel to the frame. That will tighten up groups consideraby. that is basically what they do with the Tar Hunt 870s, they take an oversize ER Shaw barrel and pin it.

Better yet, look on the internet boards for a Mossberg 695 bolt action slug gun (retail $259). Comes with ported 22" rifled barrel. Mine groups 2" or less at 100 with Fed Prem 2 3/4 Barnes Expander slugs. Dead on at 100 drop is 12-14" at 200. Tried the 3" models, kicked the snot out of you and accuracy was the pits.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

I have tested about every slug for my smooth bore barrel. The winchester 2 3/4 were right on. When I tried the 3inch they where never consistent. I would like to try to out fit my 1100 with a new barrel. I've check into hastings rifled barrels and like what I see. Are there any other high end rifled barrels that I do some research on?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd buy the Remington cantilever for the Rem 1100, check at Cabelas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would buy one, but sometimes I just cant see to find the deer using a scope. I like to have access to iron sites.
Z

[ QUOTE ]
couple points.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]
Good advice to pin or fit the barrel. A pump or auto is only as good as the fit, if the barrel receiver flexes it doesn't matter what barrel is on it.

[ QUOTE ]
couple points.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I take my gun to a smith and tell him what you wrote, he would know what I'm talking about. I don't have a clue what your talking about. I will have to print it out and show him, lol.
Z
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts