long range shooting mat / rifle case any interest??

Jimm,
Yes, the Lord has truly blessed me!and to think, I am so undeserving and He is so faithful.

As far as the shooting mat....Thanks for the suggestions and for your interest. I will definately let you know when I get the first run done. I will not take down payment for the mats/cases, but will put you down for first run production and will not hold you too it.

Bill,
Thanks for the congrats and being patient. When I get one done I will send you one and you can try it out and then you can decide if it's what you want or not.
308nate

[ QUOTE ]
P.S Last Thursday I became a daddy again to a beautiful little girl. 8 lbs. 1 oz. born on her due date and in perfect health! What a blessing!
We named her Unity-Ann Faith.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes indeed, it's a beautiful blessing!!! Congratulations to you and your wife!

[ QUOTE ]
Go to:

http://www.eagleindustries.com/MainProd.asp?scv=0

And in the search window, type:

SMRA

Look at that - it's a case and shooting mat all rolled into one.

You might get some ideas for what you are doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for some ideas here are some comments on the above shooting mat/case...

Only one assumption: Primary use would be LRH, all other uses would be secondary.

These comments are generated from having recently "cobbled up" (my usual technique /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) a drag bag/shooting mat/rifle case AND having used it in the field.

1) The removable knee portion is not optional. The ol' knees get wet back there after a bit of time in the snow and mud. I even want my knees on the pad. They're old/tender and bruise easier than I would like....

2) The front end is way too short. Who wants to stick their muzzle or muzzle brake in the snow/mud?

3) Dump the elbow pads. We're talking LRH not Camp Perry.

4) It is really nice if it is padded where you and your elbows rest on the thing. Padding should be firm and reasonably thick but not heavy. My padding is carpet padding. Way too rubbery/flexible and heavy.

5) If its to be carried on the back, which is a darn good idea it should have some structural strength. Mine is fairly thick when folded around the rifle (good protection) but is a bit too flexible for convenience. The structure is provided by the rifle only.

I use mine at the local range and for LRH carry or drag it (in a plastic sled) the mile or so to the "spot". For LRH I can get the rifle out quick enough if the elk are on the next ridge and NOT haulin' butt.

For LR yote harvesting I think I'll just use a layer of the heaviest canvas I can get and carry it in a roll below my pack so as to be able to quickly roll it out and get setup w/o too much commotion.

Just some tho'ts......

BTW Nate, Had grandchile #9 the other day. He has way too many names but nifty initials (RMXJ). I've already designed a nifty NASCAR type license plate for the stroller.

308 Nate,

RE: my cobbled up mat/drag bag mentioned above (Item #4 I think). I used it all elk season and backpacked it up the mountain one day. Way too heavy and flexible. After that day I pulled on my sled. The carpet pad was nice to lay on but heavy and a pain to pack.

Went to S. Warehouse to day and spotted some Collman Rest Easy camp pads @ 5.99 each. 72" X024" X 3/8". I bought two, came home and immediately removed the carpet padding. I then cut the Colman's into 12" strips and cut to length. They shoved easily between the stitching that separated the carpet pads.

Weight is greatly reduced, its a little less flexible and water doesn't soak into it. It rolls into a nice small light package and folds nicely to protect the rifle when dragging it on my sled.

I've searched high and low for a decent pad material and this is the closest I've come. You may wish to at least consider it. My only complaint is that I think it would be better 1/2" thick over 3/8s.

Just a tho't.

Thanks to all for your interst. I am still planning to have 8 of these finished this spring sometime. I do appologize to those who have been waiting so long. I am still searching for the right type of "material" for the elbow pads. Have had a couple companies send out samples but still not what I'm looking for. I have purchased some closed cell foam 1/2" that is super light and dense and not affected by temperature (meaning it doesn't get brittle at
-15.) This winter has been really busy for me with the new arrival in the family plus two weddings in the family, anyway thanks again for all your interest and will post as soon as these are finished.

308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts