long range shooting mat / rifle case any interest??

308 nate

Here are some pictures of a shooting mat that I designed and my wife made
a reality. I have had several people interested in my wife making them one and am thinking of offering them for sale on my web site. Before she starts to make them I want you guys to hash it over likes/dislikes modifications etc... and what a fair price would be.

mat1.jpg

mat2.jpg

mat3.jpg

e0d98590.jpg

mat5.jpg

mat6.jpg

243wssm1.jpg

Neat idea! Excellent design.

I'd suggest using stippled rubbery pads so ones elbows won't slide around. Sometimes they'll do that on smoother pad surfaces which this one appears to have.

I'd buy one. I've been looking for a mat but just can't find one that I like. The only catch is I'd want one long enough to hold a 30" bbl gun. If she'll make it, I'll buy it!!

308Nate,

Looks good! I would be interested in one as well.
As for price, its hard to say not knowing cost of materials and time involved in making one.

Regards,

JD338

Nathan,

See I told you there were others were looking for something like that. Woo Hoo!!

What BJ said goes for me also. I knew he was seriously looking for something like this.

However I'm more picky. Recommendations for the "Rocky" ground model i.e., Idaho: Consider a lining of 1/2 or 3/4 inch foam like is in some folding chairs in all three sections. Don't use carpet padding its to heavy. How do I know that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Maybe make the cartridge holder and elbow pads optional. I see that the one shown would work well with the padded shooting jacket but most don't wear one, but some do....

I like it but having sewn a few items myself there is a lot of work there... better thank your wife a few times more!

Suggestions for consideration:

1) Offer two straps so as to make it packable on the back.

2) Don't provide padding but allow a two piece (dual layer) material sealed on one end with Velcro. The end user can then buy a pad of anything desired then cut to fit and slip it inside the panels. (Or you can sell additional padding options (no work to this part, just cut material and ship it).)

3) A loop (or two) on the folded "top" edge for a carry handle.

Nice job on this.

Thanks for all the posts and keep them coming.
The wheels are turning now.
308nate
P.S My wife wanted me to mention on the stitching on the ammo loops being too much for her sewing machine as she was going through 4 layers of canvas plus high density foam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif This was just a proto type and she really can stitch in a straight line... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif also there is a hidden pocket underneith the cartride loops. Only accessable when the flap is open. It is hard to see int he photo. There is padding on the back side of the cartridge loops and the outside of the pocket to protect the gun.

Bart B,
Yes, I agree 100% with more traction on the elbow pad covering, but would like to find something that wouldn't get so hot in the sun as black rubber would. Will be looking at options.

I really like Dave's idea of supply your own padding insert. Being somewhat wimpy and also disliking to miss my afternoon siestas while hunting I could really load it up with foam.

Other thing would be to accommodate rifles up to 56+ inches long.

Bill Baily,
The gun in the case has a 31" barrel so a 30" barrel will not be a problem.I'm hoping to have the first production run out in 1-2 months with new modifications.

<font color="red"> </font>
To all:
As far as price I'm thinking it will beinthe $175-$200 range. Will this make them hard to sell?

I don't think so. You have to look @ it as a case and a shooting mat and the fact there is alot of time and sweat put into each one!! The cases I ordered for my 2 30" bbl guns were around $80 ea from AceCase. If you break down like that it seems reasonable enough. I'll be holding off on any shooting mat purchases until I see what you come up with. Keep us posted!!

I pretty much like it exactly the way you have it. The grey rubber other folks mentioned would be an improvement for adverse weather that may pop-up instead of the leather, ambient moisture and ground moisture too. Throw in backpack straps, and I too would be interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.