Long Range Scopes

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by tdregs13, Oct 27, 2011.

1. tdregs13

tdregs13 Member

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was looking for a long range varmint rifle but, what is a long range rifle without a scope? I have gone back and forth yet I can't seem to be able to decide on a scope. I know Leupold is a popular brand that has quality scopes but I want more than just my opinion. I would also like to keep the price sub $500, so that limits me right there but if you guys could help me decide what scope and what reticle is ideal for long range varmints it would be much appreciated.

2. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Look at Sightron scopes. They have great glass and their turrets are reliable and repeatable.

3. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

I used to think that the sun rose and set in Leupold....and then I got talked into buying a Zeiss Conquest...2 times the $$....more than 2 times the scope

4. strombeckj

strombeckj Well-Known Member

Scopes under $500 worth looking at would be Vortex Viper, Viper HS, Weaver Grand Slams, Super Slams (on sale @ Natchez) and Sightron SII Big Skys. On a hot day in the PD field a high power scope usually get's cranked down because of mirage to around the 14-20x anyways.

IMHO,

Jon

5. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

If you are going to spend upwards of $900 for that VSL...and take the time to make good handloads for it...spend an equal amount of $$ on the glass. My builder told me that if I couldnt handle the price tag on the Zeiss to try a Nikon Monarch in either 4 - 16 x 42SF or 3-12 x 42SF. He rated both of them mighty good.

6. Ring

Ring Well-Known Member

vortex viper 2x20

ive seen them onsale for 260$ for a 500 piece of glass... my buddy with a night force like mine better