Long Range Scopes

tdregs13

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was looking for a long range varmint rifle but, what is a long range rifle without a scope? I have gone back and forth yet I can't seem to be able to decide on a scope. I know Leupold is a popular brand that has quality scopes but I want more than just my opinion. I would also like to keep the price sub $500, so that limits me right there but if you guys could help me decide what scope and what reticle is ideal for long range varmints it would be much appreciated.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was looking for a long range varmint rifle but, what is a long range rifle without a scope? I have gone back and forth yet I can't seem to be able to decide on a scope. I know Leupold is a popular brand that has quality scopes but I want more than just my opinion. I would also like to keep the price sub $500, so that limits me right there but if you guys could help me decide what scope and what reticle is ideal for long range varmints it would be much appreciated.

I used to think that the sun rose and set in Leupold....and then I got talked into buying a Zeiss Conquest...2 times the $$....more than 2 times the scope

Scopes under $500 worth looking at would be Vortex Viper, Viper HS, Weaver Grand Slams, Super Slams (on sale @ Natchez) and Sightron SII Big Skys. On a hot day in the PD field a high power scope usually get's cranked down because of mirage to around the 14-20x anyways.

IMHO,

Jon

If you are going to spend upwards of $900 for that VSL...and take the time to make good handloads for it...spend an equal amount of $$ on the glass. My builder told me that if I couldnt handle the price tag on the Zeiss to try a Nikon Monarch in either 4 - 16 x 42SF or 3-12 x 42SF. He rated both of them mighty good.

vortex viper 2x20

ive seen them onsale for 260$ for a 500 piece of glass... my buddy with a night force like mine better

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.