"long range" scope for a 22lr?

teddy12b

Hello,

I recently bought a ruger 10-22 for rabbit hunting. Of course it didn't take long before I started asking myself just how far away I could hit targets with it. Currently I've got a bushnell $40 cheapo on it and I'm thinking about putting a 20moa base on it for some long range fun. I'm wondering how many moa adjustment I have in my current scope and I can't find the spec anywhere online.
Is there a better scope to use for long range 22LR plinking fun?

Has anyone else tried shooting long range with a 22LR?

A cheapo Bushnell probably isn't going to track true, and would be hard to adjust. For long range you need something with a good amount of adjustment that tracks well. A Bushnell 3200 10x with tactical turrets is about the cheapest thing I'd use for dialing up and down a lot. With a 20 moa base you could have around 35 moa of "up".

I use the Bushnell 10x40 Elite Riflescope, Mil Dot Ret., Matte, Bushnell ELITE 3200 5-15x40mm Tactical Mil-Dot, and the Leupold Mark 2 4-12x40mm Adj. Obj. T2 Matte Mil Dot. The Leupold is a much better made scope than the Bushnell but the Bushnell work just fine.

Mike @ CSGW

I have a tricked out 10/22 that does pretty well plinking out to 300 yards, my longest shot on game was a 167 yard crow. Using a laser range finder I can regularly kill squirrels with head shots out to around 100 yards in good conditions. Mine has a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20 EFR and I shoot mostly Eley Silouex (SP).

Bob

I was shooting a marlin 60 at a thin road sign someone had left at the BLM land 'range. At 200 yards I could hear it hit every time-walking out, none of them penetrated. The .223 on the other hand..... So I doubt you could kill much at long range-maybe birds. I used a weaver rail I mounted with a $45 simmons blazer 3x9 for accurate shooting. Worked very well.

With the right ammo I have seen my marlin make rabbit kills at about 250. Mini mags!! I use a bushnell banner with mildot and it can be had for about $120. Holds up much better than the cheap sportsman line at wal mart.

Your big problem will be getting enough MOA to reach out there a ways.

With a Win 52 Target and a lyman scope with exterior there was sufficient adjustment to get to 500 yards. It was great fun with hits being visible on a black full size coyote plus you could hear the "dink"

I'd suggest determining how many MOA you need for the range you wish to shoot, get a proper base thean a SuperSniper 10X scope.

After recent use with a Super Sniper, I LOVE MINE. 20x fixed, 140 moa of "up". Good glass and tough! Only about $300, less if used!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.