Long Range Scope Choice

jwp475

What power range and which particular scope for shooting out to as far as 2000 yards
I curently have a NXS 5.5X22 would a higher power be better, would a differrent brand be better?
What are your opions guys

22x is plenty. Would more be nice?? Sure it would but you don't get something for nothing. The higher the power the more mirage you'll see and the less adj. you will have. It's a give and take situation.

[ QUOTE ]
What power range and which particular scope for shooting out to as far as 2000 yards
I curently have a NXS 5.5X22 would a higher power be better, would a differrent brand be better?
What are your opions guys

[/ QUOTE ]

For very long range, the less power you can get by with, the better off you are.

For a given conditions, the higher the power, the more mirage you have, the more atmospheric problems you have.

Assuming that you could hit them, you could use a 10x-12x for Prairie Dogs at 2,000 yds. Under afternoon sun, you couldn't even see Prairie Dogs at half that distance with a 50mm rifle scope set at 50x.

This is a very interesting read of guys whackin' Prairie Dogs at 3,520 yards.

http://www.northfloridashooting.com/Misc/2MilePrarieDogs/2MilePrarieDogShooters.htm

They used a spotting scope of only 36x.

22x and lower will do you just fine.

When you are going long a higher power will give you the ability to see alignment errors you just can't see with a lower powered scope. I use 8.5-25 Leupolds but when I really need to see something I break out the Black Diamond 8-32.
257accumarknh7.jpg

CS,
Steve (sscoyote) wrote that article and several more on the quest for the 2 mile dog.
All of the articles he wrote on them are complied in PS's
book on 1,000 yard shooting.

If cost is not an issue, I would highly recommend the S&B 5-25x56 with either a P4fine or a Gen. II XR (the XR's are coming real soon). It will also be available for the 4-16's .
Here's a picture of the Gen. II XR in a Mk4 6.5-20 on about 18x. An illuminated version will also be offered.

XR.jpg

Jerry R , that Gen II XR , S&B Reticle sure looks FINE ! A little like the Fowler RR 800 and Swaro TDS , but with fewer Solid Lines . I'd like to see something similar offered by Nightforce , Nikon , Bushnell , Weaver , etc.

The XR is actually ours and we will be installing them in S&B's as that's the only scope we are working on. A handful of Leupolds got them up until early '06.

Question for Jerry R. : Not trying to pry , but is there a Technical reason why you stopped installing that really nice Reticle on Leupolds ? If someone already had a Premier-Leupold , could they have the XR Installed at present ?

The reason we are no longer installing these or any other reticles in Leupolds is that they (Leupold) no longer want us to modify their scopes and pulled the plug on us and opened their own custom shop. This is why we can not perform any modifications to Leupold scopes, new or old.
The warranty is still good on any work we have done in the past.

As far the Klein reticle, it would be easier for you since you are in Europe to call the sales dept. at S&B Germany.
If this doesn't work, contact me.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.