long range savage ml

Discussion in 'Gun Photos' started by hillbill, Apr 22, 2009.

1. hillbill

hillbill Well-Known Member

kind of unusual I guess but here is my newest baby,it started life as a 50 cal 10 MLII but now wears a richards tacdriver stock with bedded & pillard action, bedded & floated ramrod tube, pacnor 28" 1-22 twist fluted barrel, sss machined lug, sss comp trigger, bedded farrel base with burris tactical rings & soon to wear a Nightforce scope ,& sss tactical bolt handle.....and yes its a shooter[PHP[​IMG]PHP]

2. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Well-Known Member

Very nice. Nice to see something new and original like that. What kind of accurate range are you getting with it ?

3. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

Who did the work on the barrel? Or, it is a pre-fit?

I've been wondering about Savage ML barrels.

4. hillbill

its a drop in pacnor barrel and on the first trip out the last 7 shots were .805[PHP[​IMG][/php]

5. etisll40

etisll40 Well-Known Member

That savage ML-10-1 looks good. Was it originally an accutrigger? Did you convert it to SSS trigger? Was it difficult?

Thanks,
    Ed

6. hillbill

7. AH3682

AH3682 Well-Known Member

Friend,
    Beautiful! Just wondering, where did you buy that stock from?

8. etisll40

Awesome stock. Was the sss worth it?

9. hillbill

honestly I barely remember posting a pic of the gun but if its a green thumbhole it is a Richards microfit, called a tacdriver. they are simi finished and they use that loosely. I spent over 20 hours on that stock.

the gun has just been put up for sale if you are interested. I cut the barrel down to 24" and had it threaded for a brake. it has a flush fitting cap that blends nicely.

if you might be interested let me know and i will send the specs and price.

I build smokeless guns and this was my first. It has been my baby for a few years but I now have others and I am currently building a .416 so this one needs to go:rolleyes:

10. hillbill

yes the sss trigger is a good trigger, the accutrigger is ok but not to my liking..

11. etisll40

Is the gun a savage ml or ml2? About what does it weigh and how's it shooting, barrel life remaining? About how far does it shoot to? With the trigger change, is it safe? Slam fires? How much do you want?

12. hillbill

the gun is a MLII that I bought back in 05 but the only thing stock is the action, everything else is custom including the bolthandle. this is a 400 yd plus gun in capable hands. 100 yd groups are generally ragged holes with 200 grn sst .40 cal bullets and light blue harvester sabots over 60 grnd H-4198 @ 2650 fps. you can easily take it to over 3000 but can also shoot sized parker match hunters (275 or 300 grn) over 2800 fps with great accuracy.. the gun is very reliable although a little heavy. (you dont want to shoot a 300 grner @ 2800 from a light gun)

you can go over to the savage smokeless muzzleloading site and check things out for true long range muzzers. my user name is hillbill over there too and im pretty well known there..

as far as barrel life, you will never wear one of these barrels out because they dont wear the throat like a cf gun does