Long range rifle stock recommendation

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bob58, May 22, 2008.

1. Bob58

Bob58 Member

Help! I'm having Savage build a .300 WSM in their model 10, with a fluted heavy barrel. I'd like to replace the stock Savage stock (bad pun intended), but don't know what to choose. I like the Stockade line, especially their Woodchuck stock, but want a stock that is:
    a) More manageable than the Woodchuck for carrying (Woodchuck is 2 3/8" wide at forearm)
    b) Will adapt to, or fit without any adaptation, the Savage heavy barrel.

I don't like the Monte Carlo style stocks - I think they increase felt recoil, but others who have more experience may know better than I. My preference is for a straight rear stock, like the Stockade Woodchuck.

Cost is a consideration, too. I'd rather not spend several hundred dollars, if that can be avoided.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob58

2. tscott

tscott Well-Known Member

stocks

I put a Bell and Carlson on my Rem 700, 270 WSM and I like the stock. However if I was doing it again, I would look at some of the lighter custom stocks out there. This isn't turning out to be a gun I'll go backpacking with. Weight may not be an issue to you.
    Good luck

3. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

Stockade makes a sporter stock also that has a smaller forend. If you gave Kevin the dimensions of your barrel he could tell you if it would fit or not.

4. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

I would go with the Bell & Carlson stock. It's a nice looking stock for a fair price and it performs well too. My buddy has one on his Savage, and he loves it. It makes the stock Savage look like a full blown custom rig.

W.

5. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Boyds offers nice stocks at great prices.

6. Niles Coyote

Niles Coyote Well-Known Member

Its a little higher priced than B.C. or H.S. but take a look at:
    Manners Composite Stocks

I have a mcs-T4 and love it. That my not fit your likes but they hav several different models and will inlet to you specs. I believe they will even install a alum bedding block into the stock if you wish.