long range rifle actions

Hello fellow LRHs,
I'm looking to devote one rifle to long-range hunting. I will use it for hunting predators and deer. I don't care about weight, I won't be stalking, just hunting from a stationary position.

Bench-rest competitors usually use bolt-action rifles with excellent bullseye-punching capabilities. Camp Perry shooting involves semi-autos with pinpoint accuracy.

My question is this:

Have either of these actions proved to be more accurate than the other?

Thanks,

A bolt gun should out shoot a semi auto all day long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AG

All being equal (quality barrel, accurately faced lugs, stock bedded, etc.) the Bolt gun will edge out the semi-auto as far as accuracy, albeit not by much. The reason for this is that there are many more moving parts in a semi-auto that must come back to the exact same spot to put the next round through the same hole. That being said, a very preisely put together semi-auto with a quality barrel should shoot just as good if not better than most off the shelf bolt actions. The main advantage of a semi-auto is a very quick follow-up shot, while the bolt action takes longer to reload. I personally do not see how this applies to hunting, cause I always try to make my first shot count /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Another thing is reloading. You can't use fireformed brass and a semi auto is pretty tough on brass and often dents it. I'm thinking this could result in different pressures that will affect velocities which would affect long range accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.