Long Range Prairie Dog Hunt In South Dakota By Jesse Grove

Great story Jesse. We'll have to meet up at Ted's again and discuss this hunt some more. I am really interested in booking a trip out to this outfitter you are using. Sounds like a very economical trip and a fun one to boot. Thanks again for the article.

Tank

Thanks Kiwi Al.

The price of the trip went up this year as has everything elese but its still doable for under $1000. I really feel like we will be able to reach our goals. I went ringneck hunting in Nov. with Kerry our guide and hes really onboard with trying to make our long shots.

Great article,and some amazing shooting!I thought shooting anything from a mile is incredible,but you guy's are really pushing the envelope!Exactly how do you use a GPS as a rangefinder?Do you actually go to the target and mark it as a waypoint,then once you get to the bench have it naviagate there in a straight line?I have a Garmin 76csx,would that work for that application?

We try to judge how far it is and then do some shooting. With the charts that we use we then know roughly how far it is and if we want to shoot there or not. Plus our guide last year said he figured it to be 3k, when we marked our shooting bench and drove and walked to the mound being guided by Will back at the bench I marked that pt. and the garmin told us that it was 2992 yds. After that I would pretty much believe him if he told me the moon was square. It is very hard to judge distance out there I just don't get enough practice out west to be good at it.

As for your garmin I don't know why it would not work. Mine is a etrex model from the late 90's that I got from a fellow here on this site for free. I thank him once again for his generosity.

I'll have to take my Garmin out and play around with it,thanks for the help.

Your welcome.
I hope to do some LR doggin this summer as well.
Doubt if I will get the distances that you guys are though.
Good luck on your future endeavors.

Jesse,

I met you Friday out at Mifflin County Sportsmen's. It was a pleasure. I've found that each member I've met up there has been very knowledgeable, quite friendly, and surprisingly humble about his skills and abilities. You all have a great long distance range there, and I hope to see you again next time I make the trip up.

Great article; I enjoyed reading it.

Ken O'Donnell

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, I hope you had a good time shooting. As I feared it seems to me that the big gun is done shooting. Having a hard time shooting 3" groups at 500. I ordered a new broughton barrel 2 weeks ago maybe it will be done towards the end of summer. Hope to see you at the range again. Jesse

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.