Long range optics for (.257 and 30-378)

ZIMM

I'm Looking to spend 500-1000 on each scope. I'm looking to outfit a
257 Weatherby and a 30.378 Weatherby. I'm looking at a Leupold VX-III
but thats about as far as I have got. The distances are below
257 looking to shoot 200-700 yards and the 30-378 about 700-1000
I'm looking to customize the reticle if that helps anyone. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
ZIMM

The new VXIII scopes are nice scopes. At your longer ranges I'd go with at least a 4.5X14 with side focus. For reticles, I personally like the mildot over any of the factory options. Or go with turrets and click. Either or both options are available thru Leupolds custom shop.
Of course, for your upper end you could go Swarovski with a TDS reticle. More scope options than you can ever check out. Your main decision is reticle & hold over vs turrets & clicking. Both work, you must decide.

for the 30-378 the burris black diamond 4-16x50 posi-lock
w ballistic mil-dot retical. is the most resonable that is what i have used for a few years on mine and it is awesome.
I just upgraded to the Schmidt bender 4-16x50.
Jim and John lazzeroni recomend only those 2 scopes for there magnum rifles as they hold up very well to the heavy recoil.

shon
[email protected]

Just worked up load data and zero'd a 30 hart (180 at 3200 fps) with Leupold Boone and Crocket. 300 yard zero at cross hair and bottom mark was something over 700 without touching turret.

Premier reticle in VA is best at custom reticles but they only work on Leupolds. we are taking the VX3 and having them put a custom target turret on top of it also.

Leupold has great direct buying program for LE and Hunter Ed instructors, (about 30% below distributor) also.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.