Long range muzzle loaders

You can save even more money by buying an off the shelf Pedersoli Gibbs .451 or the Pedersoli Mortimer Whitworth in .451 both of which is 600 to 1000 yard rifles.

The DP Gibbs holds the world record for long range black powder shooting. The loads for 1000 yard matches normally consist of 90 - 100gr 2F Swiss with a paper patched 545gr bullet.

That is some fancy shooting there Encore !

Proof that even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.

Elements were perfect that day and I must have been in a good mood. Probably should have played the lottery that day.........

I shot this target at 400yds before replacing the trigger with a Timney.....

The Ultimate Firearms rifles will shoot.

They certainly do ! But for us sidelock fans there is the two Pedersoli's that is proven performers, the Artax Rigby is another one that really work well.

Thanks guys.

Order yourself one, then you can "Putem in a pile at a quarter mile" too. :)

That target is PROOF........ Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.

Boy would I have liked to had something like this 40 years ago.......

I know this May be changing the subject. But I have a .45 cal Thompson center hawken. Has anyone tried to push a hawken to shoot long range? If so what is your recipe? I haven't shot it much but I do plan on pushing it. I put an adjustable rear peep sight on it. Just wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction? What mold to use? And so on?

of course you can, I had a deer creek northwest rifle 45cal years ago and 200 yards was fun! 80gr 3f triple 7 and a 225gr powerbelt was deadly accurate.

Now days my 200 yarder in the works is a 58cal CVA Hawken. Im taking her on her first hunt August 16th for bear gun)

I have a problem with my long range muzzle loader, Maybe some one could help. I found a builder from this post (Joe Goble in Ohio) who would build one for me. I talked to him extensively and struck a deal to have a long range muzzle loader built on a Remington 700 action for $1400 plus extras. I sent Joe Goble my $700 down payment and now he won't return my phone calls, texts , emails or my deposit. Any helpful ideas would be very much appreciated.

Sorry I can't help you there... I would probably make a trip to see Mr. Goble in person and find out what is really going on! Has anyone pushed their t/c hawken or renegade 45 out past 200yds. If so how did you do it? What recipe?

Chip getting long range accuracy really boils down to how well your rifle will stabilise a bullet with a high enough BC to enable you to shoot long range in the first place.

Most muzzleloaders will have a 1:66 or 1:48 twist rate which is not conductive to shooting really far.

Now if you have a rifle with 1:22 to 1:16 twist rate which will stabilise a 480 to 585gr .45 cal bullet you're in the pound seat. Only down side to this will be the stock design on the Hawken , was not designed to dampen the recoil with heavy (90 to 110gr of powder) and as a result the recoil will be much more than a push.

I have a problem with my long range muzzle loader, Maybe some one could help. I found a builder from this post (Joe Goble in Ohio) who would build one for me. I talked to him extensively and struck a deal to have a long range muzzle loader built on a Remington 700 action for $1400 plus extras. I sent Joe Goble my $700 down payment and now he won't return my phone calls, texts , emails or my deposit. Any helpful ideas would be very much appreciated.

He has a facebook page. That may be him too, rather active at Ohio game fishing.com. I'd step up your contact efforts, then go out to people he knows, family, wife, whoever. If he has a real job, call his boss.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.goble.180/about

Hopefully you get some resolution. I stack deer up just fine with my Knight Elites. The new Mountaineer is fine too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.