Long Range 'Lite'

Re: Long Range \'Lite\'

Wapi-T

If I can get the pic on here, it will give you an idea of a rifle that is probably close to what you want.

It is one of my carry in ridge guns when we back pack into the mountains. The rife is chambered in the 7/300 Weatherby, has a 29" Shilen stainless barrel, a 6 1/2X to 20X Leupold, has a standard Remington stock with a fore end extension and has a 721 remington action with Sako extractor and a bi-pod. The rifle weighs as pictured 11 Lbs. Without the bipod it's 10 lbs.
I know for a fact, it will kill at 1250 Yards.

I would have liked the 6.5/300 Weatherby just as much or more in this setup. I just wanted to see what the 7/300 would do in a light gun. It does have a lot of recoil and should have a brake on it. The 6.5/300 would have been a little better in that department.

Just wanted to show you a light longrange rifle.

Hope I can get the pic on here.

Darryl Cassel
32487926JGylNV_ph.jpg

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Wapit-T,
Finally had a chance to review some of the older threads on here and saw your referecne to my name. Then I got to thinking after seeing Rick Bin's post a couple of days ago. Is this the same Wapit-T from the old "coffeeshop" days? Also I see a new poster on here with a name of Big Sky. Is that the same old Big Sky from the coffeeshop also? If so glad to chat with you again. If not sorry to jump in the middle here.
Your in good hands here with all of the suggestions posted already. If it were me it would be a 6.5-300 with an 8 twist. But that's me. The 6.5WSM should be very good also, but jsut don't have any first hand knowldge yet. Depending on what your shooting at really depends on the case. But for accuracy, obviously the 6.5/284 has a very good reputation and rightly so. I personally shoot the 6.5x55 Ackley which I can duplicate 6.5-284 ballistics for accuracy. But you can go just a little hotter with the 284 case for hunting purposes.

Also to WyoJim: Glad to see some others from the good ol' days that still have a old 6.5-300 still in use. I still have my Harry Keiser built 6.5-300 in a heavy gun configuration. It was originally built in '78. The barrel is really really worn on it presently (not the original barrel either). I started going to the PA 1,000yd club in the earley 80's and now live in NC and compete with the 1,000yd clubs in NC and VA. I make it back to the PA club at least once a year though.

Have a good day and its a pleasure to "meet" everyone,

Steve

Steve Shelp, yup it's me from the Coffee Shop and 24hr. Thanks, I've got to say I love this place and wish I would of found it sooner. Some real knowledgable folks here. I can't believe how much I'm learning.

Darryl...Now to me, that is a nice looking rifle. If the barrel was 3 inches shorter it would go right in my saddle boot.

Steve-

Sorry, I'm not the same fellow from the "coffee shop" days. Just a young long-range nerd trying to get in the mix
grin.gif
. A couple fellows here have mentioned your website, but I can't find an address. Can you post that here?

Wapit-T,
Well it's a pleasure to meet you anyway and welcome to a great site with a good bunch of fellas.
I don't have a personal web site myself. I think you might been refering to someone in another post referring to a picture of my BAT action 338 Lapua Improved. I think that picture is under a post labled as "338 Titan vs 338 Lapua Improved" or something very similar. I think it might be under "barrels, bullets, and Ballistics" section. If you can't find it I can repost it. Those BAT are top shelf stuff. Along with other actions also.
Or possibly they my be referring to the 2 web sites that I do webmaster duites for. They are NC 1,000yd BR Club and the Virginia 1,000yd BR Club. I've got a lot more data and picutres on the NC page right now, as I'm still building the VA page as we speak. Just another one of the hats that I wear for boths clubs.
grin.gif

Steve

you could use one of the carbon barrels to keep the weight down.i know you have heard of them.they will put one on your gun for you,thanks,keith

I have a lot of experience with a very similar round to the 6.5-284.
It seems funny that people are trying to recreate the ballistics of the 6.5 Rem Mag of yester year. This caliber was villified by folks who were not ready for it. I have 2. In the Rem 660 the 2.825" Magazine box does cause deep seating of 140 grain bullets but a 6.5 bullet really doesn't take up much powder space. The 20" barrel limits velocities but I have killed caribou to 400 yards with this little sweetie. This thing packs like a Win 94 and makes shooting at 300+ yards a breeze! The 6.5-284 just about duplicates the performance of this round . I have the short action Ruger flat bolt in 6.5 Rem Mag. It allows seating to 2.9" and handles the 140 grain bullets a bit better.
This little rifle has a 22" barrel and shoots 129 grain Hornady's into 2" groups at 300 yards from the factory barrel. I have an old Redfield accurange type sciope that matches the drop to 50o yards that I have practiced for and have got several caribou past the 400 yard mark... In fact my last caribou from Baffin Island was a 474 yard instant kill. this was a laser range finder
shot with a witness. Not bad for a 7 pound gun with near carbine shortness. I have another Ruger short action magnum presently in a 416-350 Rem Mag that I have considered rebarelling to 6.5 Rem Mag with a heavy 27 inch tube. I have found like Jack O'Conner and his 270 that a 120-140 grain bullet started out at over 3000 ft/sec is a pretty good concept. Shoots flat, kills well and has low recoil to improve shooting. Good luck with the 6.5-284. I think this is a very sound concept.

Greetings,
I feel the same way you do. I prefer the lightest caliber I can get away with. My 6.5-284 has a 8.5 twist barrel that is 29 inches from muzzle to shoulder. With 55 grains of H4831SC and a 140VLD, the velocity is around 3,100fps and that load shows no pressure signs at all. I could actually go faster. The bullet used, has a BC of .620 and pushed at 3,100 fps has 920 ft. lbs. of energy at 1,000 yards. On top of that, it is superbly accurate and very easy to load for. Just get some Norma, lapua, or hornady brass and stuff a bullet in. The recoil is virtually non-existant with this round which makes it ideal for hunting. The idea of a muzzlebrake on a hunting rifle just doesn't sit well with me.
This would be a good option for you although there have been many other good suggestions as well. There sure are a lot of different guns and calibers a guy can have fun with. Too bad I'm on a limited budget!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.