Long Range is a realitive thing.....

41mag

Well the past couple of trips up, the grandson has been getting in a little bit of shooting practice. I loaded up some 125gr reduced loads for my Ruger Compact 308, and pulled out an old M1 Carbine that I had stuck away that my pop sporterized back in the early 60's.

So the first time out, we shot the .308 first, and after three shots the boy decided that was enough, and we tried the carbine. He liked it much better and ran off around 10 rounds before calling it quits.

I took them both up again this weekend and we set up down in the pasture at our range. From the target we drove up 50 yds and set him up in the back of the truck. We do all of the checks, maing sure he is holding things properly and positioned comfortable. Then the fireing sequence go as follows, are you on target, " I got it right where I want it PAwpa". Ok I am taking it off safety, no wait till I say, "OK pawpa, hurry I want to shoot". Ok when your "BOOM".
P1010038.jpg

First rattle out of the box he was shooting the little M1 and puts one **** near in the bull of the orange sticker. THen we move up to the 308. He started off a little high, but this was due to the anticipated recoil. After that though he worked it right down to the bull. He isn't quite as confident as it kicks more, but with the way he was shooting, I am hopefule that some pot bellied corn crunchiing shoat will hit the dirt in the next couple of weekends.
P1010040.jpg

P1010041.jpg

It isn't stretching the limits of the rifle, but for a 5 year old, 50 yards is a long ways. I am sure it won't be long till I will be skinning out his critters, and hopefully he will grow to enjoy the shooting, and the outdoors as much as I have through the years.

Way to go, Mike!

Good shooting by your grandson. Nothing wrong with being accurate at 50 yards, there are plenty of adults who refuse to take the time to do it consistently. I'm sure his confidence & ability will continue to grow just as he will, & having a good mentor will make it much better for the both of you.
Dave

I wish somebody was loading reduced loads for a 308 when I was 5! I had to wait until I was 6 to shoot at all... and 12 before I had my own rifle

Good job for spending the time to make it enjoyable for them!

Mike / Tx:

Great pictures!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif They say it all.

Looks like you have a hunting partner for good now. He's getting started right and has a great teacher. Congratulations to you for doing a fantatic job. You've got a grandson you can be proud of.

I'd say the piggies are in big trouble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike,
Thanks for sharing - I sure enjoyed seeing that youngster shooting from the back of your truck! You are blessed.

Good luck to both of you. Brings back a lot of memories...

abinok

I know what you mean, shoot I just wished that pop liked something other than his O3A3 when I was growing up. That thing kicked like a mule.

I did however learn to shoot and get my first deer using the same M1 that the grandson was shooting this weekend. So I guess things have come full circle through 3 generations.

Thanks guy's, the boy is a real treat to be around. He simply loves to be in the woods and doing anything outdoor related.

I have no doubts that one day he will succeed in what ever he sets his mind to.

Yep the memories all come flooding back to me as well. My Pop and Uncle would always have something similar set up for us every years as well. Even if we didn't get to take a gun along, just being out there with them and learing the different things was more than enough.

Several weeks back, the wife and I set up a two person tree stand, just about 50 yds back of a feeder. It is in some really heavy stuff, and the hogs were on it overnight. When we set up the stand, I only used the first section of ladder which puts it up about 4 or so feet off the ground. This should make for a great spot for him to pick one of the football sized ones off.

We'll see come next weekend or so.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After reading this story, that is really all I could do. Just sit here and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Started my grandson with the 60% loads suggested in HOgdon's pages; he is a happy camper. Well done,son. Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bill,

It will only seem like it was yesterday when yours gets up there as well. Trust me, the years go by faster and faster. Just remeber to keep it short and let them have fun doing it and they will grow to it like ducks on water.

The thing I see more than anything is folks who try to force things on their kids. I learned that more times than not, they learn to resent this and want nothing to do with it.

Both the daughter and grandson were taken out with us from day one to do things. Yea it was a pain in the backside sometimes, but even one Easter weekend fishing/camping trip, was saved by the Easter Armadillo, thats the Bunny's helper ya know. A few plasitc eggs and such scattered about the camp, and things were fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just had to fish or hunt a little and then play in the dirt, or chase bugs or look for little things to keep them interested. Even if it meant quitting the intended agenda. Shoot even had to stop work on the house once to sit down and just drive some nails through a piece of plywood. IT was just what the grandson needed to feel included, and then content to hustling more nails for me.

OB,
Yep same load, 125gr BT with 38 grs of 4895. Tames that little mule right down fine. Full house loads in it I don't even like to shoot from a bench. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One thing that has been pointed out to me is that we might have to find him a black sock hat to tone down that hair a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It is great to see the kids shooting and shooting well. I cannot wait until mine moves up from her BB gun with her cut off stock! She is only 2.5 but she is pretty good so far.

I say major props to you for getting him started and teaching him all the things he will need to know. He will really appreciate it as he grows older.

Also I have something you may want to try with him. My Dad did this with me for many years to help with my practice sesions. This works with a shotgun or rifle. I started when I was 4 with a 222 savage with the barrell and stock cut to nothing!

When he is shooting hold the rifle where he cannot see it. Take the ammo and rattle it around but sometimes do not load the rifle. This way he never knows when there is a live round in the gun. This will stop him from flinching and teach him to squeeze the trigger. It should become a game for him to see how smoothl he can break the trigger and it lets you actually see what is happening when he is squeezing it.

Not sure if it will work for him but, it sure worked for me and I really appreciate it to this day.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.