Long range hunting stock

Rich look at the mcm a3 sporter. Has rounded corners on the forend. And a flat bottom. At what you said for 11lb I think your going to be hard pressed with any tactical stock with standard fill with adjustable anything. Those stocks are 4.5-6 lbs. Mine has the edge fill and is a good Compromise

Rich look at the mcm a3 sporter. Has rounded corners on the forend. And a flat bottom. At what you said for 11lb I think your going to be hard pressed with any tactical stock with standard fill with adjustable anything. Those stocks are 4.5-6 lbs. Mine has the edge fill and is a good Compromise

OK, I'll check that one out too. Thanks/Rich

Don't know if you've checked this out, but most of Manners stocks are available in a lighter layup using 90% carbon fiber. I've got a Manners T2 in this (like the stock, but if the Greybull stock had been available...) and it's about 2.8 pounds in a full size, wide flat bottom forend, vertical grip tactical stock.

Probably know this, but make sure and let stockmakers know before the build if you are planning on using an adj. cheekpiece, such at the one that Carlock offers at Defensive Edge. They can fill the buttstock with fairly lightweight filler so that the screws that hold the cheekpiece on don't collapse the shell of the buttstock.

When are we going to hear more about your bullets? Any high bc .338 pills?

I'll check that out as well. I don't make any .338 stuff because there is no jacket availability. i am making some .308 stuff that has a higher b.c. than available .338's but would require an 8 twist. I plan on shooting my 225 sxr's in my new build (30/375 S.I.) They will have a b.c. in excess of .370. I can make up to 270-275 grain .308 with a b.c. that's way up there!........Rich

Were you referring to either the M3A or the ADJ M3A?......Rich

Were you referring to either the M3A or the ADJ M3A?......Rich

Its not on mcmillans website yet but plug it into youtube and a video from last years shot show will pop up. Then you can get an idea of what it is. Mine is a fixed cheeck piece and weights in at 30 oz.

Its not on mcmillans website yet but plug it into youtube and a video from last years shot show will pop up. Then you can get an idea of what it is. Mine is a fixed cheeck piece and weights in at 30 oz.

here is some links to check out what Im talking about.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvDR9ygRAlk]McMillan Stocks: New A3 Sporter 'Tactical Hunter' - YouTube[/ame]

there are many guns with this stock on this page
Cloud Peak Gunworks Portfolio
images

But how do stocks that drop the recoil pad down from the top of the comb, like the A3 Sporter work prone (it looks alot like the manners MCS T3, doesn't it?)? On a tactical style stock for prone shooting, one benefit is that that recoil pad is higher (longer) than a sporter stock to make good shoulder contact when prone. On the T2, it also drops pretty low so you get good contact for offhand shooting as well. I'm no stock expert, but I certainly notice this difference when switching between a sporter stock and a tactical stock while shooting prone. For me, a setup for prone shooting (plan to be in spots to use the rifle like this) has to take precedence in the stock design as this (long range prone shooting) is when everything needs to fit as perfect at possible. Offhand, I'd usually be taking a somewhat quick shot at close range anyway and can shoot the tactical stock OK, not as easily as a sporter, but I guess that's one of those compromises...

But how do stocks that drop the recoil pad down from the top of the comb, like the A3 Sporter work prone (it looks alot like the manners MCS T3, doesn't it?)? On a tactical style stock for prone shooting, one benefit is that that recoil pad is higher (longer) than a sporter stock to make good shoulder contact when prone. On the T2, it also drops pretty low so you get good contact for offhand shooting as well. I'm no stock expert, but I certainly notice this difference when switching between a sporter stock and a tactical stock while shooting prone. For me, a setup for prone shooting (plan to be in spots to use the rifle like this) has to take precedence in the stock design as this (long range prone shooting) is when everything needs to fit as perfect at possible. Offhand, I'd usually be taking a somewhat quick shot at close range anyway and can shoot the tactical stock OK, not as easily as a sporter, but I guess that's one of those compromises...

Ya, I'm wondering the same thing. I reall like the looks of the A3 sporter but have the same ?? for prone shooting. The Grey bull is pretty much a regular A3 (no drop) which might be better for prone. Decisions, Decisions!!.......Rich

Its not on McMillan's website yet but plug it into youtube and a video from last years shot show will pop up. Then you can get an idea of what it is. Mine is a fixed cheek piece and weights in at 30 oz.

This stock is intriguing. What cartridge, type of action and contour barrel are you using? What's the weight of you rifle minus scope and scope mounts? Just the bare rifle? Any problems with the recoil pad fit on the shoulder from the prone position?

Update Edit: GreyBull Precision Hunting Stock weighs 38 oz. according to their website. So the Mcm could be used, at a greater cost, to save 1/2 lb of weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.