Long range hunting picture thread. please post pics.

James H,

How does that #1 shoot?

I have a #1 in 375 H&H that if I keep it doesn't really have to remain a 375 H&H. It shoots really well and consistent but has been replaced w/a 338 RUM that shoots 300gr bullets faster than it does.

Joe
i removed the center by using a milling machine and a 3/8 carbide em it is cut flat on the top and bottom and also has a litening cut on the underside of the bolt handle you can't see. i also squared it off using a belt sander so the outside followes the inside profile better i also did the spiral fluting on one of our 4 axis cnc milling machine and do them pretty often if any are interested

Re: Ruger No. 1

Roy

I threw the rifle together about a year and a half ago I have not done serious load development yet.
I tried one load of I think H-1000 and Hornady 225 gr SSTs and 5 shot groups at 200 yds all holes touched consistently so I thought that's good enough.
This spring when I got it back out the same load was shooting 1" or larger at 100 yds so I need to do some load development.
I had also tried some Barnes TSX bullets and if memory serves me no loads broke 1 MOA at 200 yds but all bullets I tried were jammed into the lands, I don't think Barnes bullets like that.
I need to get some 300 SMKs and see how it likes them.
It is possible that humidity has swelled the forearm and caused it to touch the barrel causing it too not shoot as well as it did originally.
I just need to take some time to play with it.
Been playing with my 30-378 instead since developing loads for it I am very impressed with its accuracy.
Not elk hunting this year so 338 is on the back burner.

lovadasnow and Roy,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't think I'd do that stockwork on a wood stock, but with the composite nature and strength (and weight) of the laminate stock, it seemed reasonable.

[ QUOTE ]
The-first-picture-has-my-220-Swift-and-6x284.-The-6x284-has-the-A-5-stock-and-Nesika-Bay-Action.-The-Swift-has-the-A-4-stock-and-Speedy-Sleeved-Remington-700-action.

The-next-picture-is-my-223

Wildcat

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00805.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Wildcat

What length of barrel is on the .223? Nice rigs, very nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSP-The-barrel-on-the-223-is-25"-in-length.-Thanks-for-the-compliments-on-the-rifles.

Wildcat

Here is a bad picture of my 338 Edge. In this picture it is very dirty from a hunting trip and is finished in a bead blast for now as I plan on dipping it.

THe guns is as follows:
Rem 700 Action
30" Hart Radial Fluted
HS Precision Stock
Hs Precision Box Magazine
Jewel trigger
Defensive Edge Adjustable Cheekpiece
Defensive Edge Muzzle Brake
Nightforce 8-32 NXZ
AIC Cosine Indicator

All work done by Shawn Carlock at Defeinsive Edge

338edgexv7.jpg

451536.jPG

LSR 7MM WSM
HTG Stock, Broughton 24" Barrel, OPS Inc Brake, HS DBM, Leupold 6.5x20x50MM LRT M1, 12.5 lbs as is with scope, base & bipod!

Kwanjangnihm-what-coat-did-you-use-on-you-action-and-barrel?-It-looks-OD-Green-but-what-kind.

Wildcat

kwanjangnihm......what kind of velocity to you get with that rig? Thinking of building a 7mm WSM twin to my 243AI.

[image]http://
IMGP2359.jpg
[/image]

Blueprinted Remington 700, Pac-Nor 3 grove Supermatch 12 twist, Tubbs recoil lug, Tactical bolt, HS Precision Detachable Mag, bottom metal and stock, Jewell trigger, Gruning Precision Custom 20MOA base, Leupold Mark IV Rings, 16X Leupold Mark IV longrange mildot,Teflon Coated, Caliber 308 Winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts