Long range hunting picture thread. please post pics.

Dave
So far I'm not really impressed with the Scirocco. I've tried it in the 6.5 wssm and the 6.5-284 neither groups them very well and they both copper foul heavily, I didn't think that was possible with the Rock barrel on the 6.5-284, it never seems to foul. I also notice that in the wssm I can load the 140 gr Amax to 46.5 grs of Re22 before I encounter pressure, the 130 Scirocco hits pressure at 45.0 grs of the same powder. I didn't work up to max in the 6.5-284.

Just some preliminary observations.
Chris

DSCN2097_1.jpg

DSCN2094_1.jpg

here is my 300rum, going to be selling it very soon to fund a Kirby project.

I'll post some other guns later

Well, after seeing all those beauties, my lowly rifle seems, well, pretty lowly, but I'll put aside my pride and post anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

450120-big.jpg

Originally a stock 300RUM LSS. Marine tex bedded, fully floated barrel, barrel to action lapped, bolt lugs lapped with Midway tool with barrel off, added controlled centerfeed Wyatt's extended mag box, Timney trigger, added ACD, added Stoney Point MOA turrets to Leo Vari-XIII 4.5-14 AO, lapped Leo Mark 4 rings, Limbsaver recoil pad, cut off front 2.5" of stock, took out chunk of buttstock, now 9lbs exactly. All work done by me--that's why it looks so bad. But it shoots pretty well with 109g of US869 and the 200AB at just over 3200fps MV. Some pretty nice on target groups at 6-700yds. Not very far for alot of folks here, I know, but gotta start somewhere, huh?

Let's see some more!

Main deer rifle at the moment - Rem 700 semi custom in 6.5x284 .291" nk.

DSC00208.jpg

An area I stalk in the north of the UK.

DSC00237.jpg

Another semi custom Rem 700 in .25-06 at the range.

fullsiderem2506andoehler.jpg

Finally, another area I stalk deer with two of last years Roe does.

CA4DC1CR.jpg

Deer were shot from near to fence on right and were both feeding at the tree line in the foreground.

Andy

Awesome-pictures-keep-them-coming-This-type-of-post-will-help-guys-get-ideas-for-their-rifles.

Wildcat

This is my current LR rig. Its a 7mm RM, Rem 700 BDL, trigger work, holland brake. The scope has changed to a Leupold VX3, 6.5-20x50 LR. It shoots 1/2 MOA with several different bullets.

30aaxb6.jpg

ok, here's my toys L to R
Ruger #1B in 270 weatherby mag with 6x24 burris
one of kirby's 7 mm AM's 30" #8 lilja 1/9, holland brake, HSP dbm, 4x16 XOTIC, badger ext. and recoil lug ( has shot 1 7/8" off bipod at 660 yds)
Bansner built 700 28" lilja in 7mm STW, 6.5x20 loopy throws 140 noslers out at 3550 fps into a .4" bunch
A factory rem 700 in 7mm RM with 3.5x10x50 loopy
000_0162.jpg

In case y'all didn't know it, all you alls rifles have the crank on the wrong side!
JS

338Lapua2.jpg

Ruger #1 338 Lapua
28" PAC-NOR Super Match cr/mo Sendaro barrel, chambered and threaded by PAC-NOR
Brake by Kregg Slack (doesn't show up well in this pic)
Sightron 6x24 MILDOT scope.
Limbsaver recoil pad
11lb 3oz
The only custom gun I own.

jmden,

Now that's the kind of thing I like to see. "All work done by me" are some pretty good words.

It seems to me that when you want what you want only you can make it that way.

I really like that cutout in the stock. Most people wouldn't have tho't of that and if they did wouldn't have the courage or skills to do the nice job that you did.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.