Long range hunting in New Zealand.

Kiwi Nate

Hi all I am finding the information and knowledge of long range shooting in this forum to be awesome. In my area the potential for long range shooting is excellent and owing to my profession as a hunting guide I really enjoy watching my clients succeed with long range shots. I am fortunate enough to have an area set aside for long range hunting. The block is mentioned on my website www.ballisticstudies.com we call this block Lacey's. Shots come at all ranges but if you look at the photo gallery you will see that the hunter is surrounded by ridges out to ranges beyond 1 mile, each holding small groups of animals.
(unfortunately our site cannot be found through google yet so users must type the URL into the address bar.)
It is good to see a site concerned with extreme accuracy and all that stems from this research. I currently use a 7mmRem mag with the 162 grain Amax for long shots which is a good combination without excessive throat erosion. On our Razorback hunting block I always pre-advise clients that shots on pigs can be difficult and on this block, shots seem to average 300 yards with pigs moving erratically. Last week a boar appeared at the bush edge at 300 yards exactly, trotted across to 359 yards and paused to eat before trotting to 451 yards for another scrounge. Although many clients advise me that they are set up for atleast 300 yard shots, it is surprising how many people give me a blank look when a pig is located at these ranges and then admit that they do not have any idea where their rifle is shooting at anything beyond 200 yards. Long range sniping for boar is extremely enjoyable and it is a real shame when people misss out on these shots. Right now there is a big boar (about the size of a yearling cattle beast albeit with its legs cut down) living on a ridge behind our house. He has gotten vey cunning with age but could be taken from the opposing ridge (900yards) using a long range rig.
Cheers, Nathan.

Hi Nathan,
Great to read an article from a fellow Taranaki man. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm up here in Dubai for at least the next 6 - 8 months, and that my 6.5-284 would need a bit of reloading work to get it sorted from F-class to pigs, I would be in touch. But good luck with the 900 yards!
Cheers Glen
Go The Naki!

[email protected]

Hi Glen, small world!. 6-8 months is a long haul but atleast it'll be worth it for you. Hard to say about whether that pig wll still be around but he may well last, I have put two seperate clients on him and both times the clients walked past him. I wonder if it because he is so fat that he looks like a tree stump or something. Two weeks ago I shot a goat and left it in his domain as bait. When I went back, the whole goat was gone, he had even taken off with the skull and I can only assume he took it to a favourite hiding place for a good chew. The only thing left was a scapula.

You are right Nate, those pigs sure have a thing for expired goats. Before moving up here I was based in Hamilton. To keep fit I often would head into the hills near Ngaruawhahia. But never without my 590 Mossberg full of buck-shot strapped to my chest (great bush gun!). The times when I would shoot a goat, it never lasted long, and the sign of pigs was always evident.

I figure to do such long range shooting justice I would need something a little more capable. Something in 338 with a decent muzzle brake would have to be the way to go. Maybe a project for when I'm back in NZ. I can only assume big cunning boars don't like 300 grain SMK's!

Hey all the best. Happy shooting!

Hi nathan good read i hope to get over to your fine country at some point to do some hunting (fingers crossed) and from what i just read i think i would prefer to take those boys out at range rather than close up and personal i have seen umpteen posts and sites seen dvd's on hunting in New Zealand and i think you have some of the finest hunting country i have seen

Hi guys, yes 223AckImp, it can be a bit dangerous getting too close to the big boars. Not long ago I talked to a lady pig hunter (74 years old) who told me about an incident where her dogs could not hold a pig, the pig went for her so she climbed a tree, the branch she was on broke and she fell onto and straddled the pig. In a flash the pig ripped both her archillies tendons, it took her a year to recover. To top it off she later had a similar incident with a wild Bull cattle beast, branch broke, Bull ripped her from knee to groin. I currently guide in the valley where the lady was ripped and the animals certainly are dangerous.

Glen, sounds like you are enjoying planning your next project rifle. My long range medium bores include a .338 Win mag (225 grain SST at 2980fps, 9.3 RUM, (286 grain Partition at 3000fps or 225 grain RWS DK at 3178fps) and the .375 RUM (260 grain Accubond at 3100fps). The medium bores certainly work well on pigs and allow some room for shot placement error. The only bugbear is that on lean animals like Fallow, goat or skinny Reds, the medium bores are not as fast killing as my 7mm magnum unless an extremely soft bullet is used.

If I am to be honest about my eperiences, I have shot over 6000 head of game using every calibre and cartridge available and autopsied and catalogued every kill with the goal of exploring humane killing. For many years my wife and I did all of this quietly, writing a book to compete with COW. Now, as the book is near its end and with the hunting business up and running, I have begun to become more active in cartridge discussions.If your'e with me so far then I will add my two cents about some of the choices faced when choosing a medium bore.

With most bullets, the .338 does its best work on lighter medium game at velocities above 2800fps. Below this, game hit may show no signs of wounding and run for 100 plus yards. The .338 really comes into its own on game over 90kg (200lb) On game of this size, the .338 is more forgiving at velocities of 2600fps with most bullets and down to 2400fps with the SST. An exception to this rule is on compact game including boar and bear. A light boar of 60kg (130lb) will fold up with a bad shot from the .338 and allow the shooter time for a follow up shot.
A side note: The 300grain SMK is slower in expansion compared to the SST.

I would definately choose the .338 RUM for larger animals but not for use where lighter animals may be encountered and would instead opt for the more versatile 7mm RUM. The 7mm never really ceases to produce the kind of kills that you never forget, rather than the dissapointment from a cartridge that you hoped would strike like a patriot missile but only gave average results.

The .375 is a good cartridge as it has a huge frontal area and good availability of soft bullets which work well on light game, at the same time it has stout bullets for heavy game. That said, there are no .375cal bullets designed exclusively for long range and it just isnt the same for long range enthusiasts as the .338 which has some military nostalgia and appeal.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Nathan.
http:www.ballisticstudies.com

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.