Long range hunting and target rifle. Will be my first.

matt_3479

I dont own a caliber between a 22LR and a 7mm rem mag. I want a caliber that i can use for long range shooting, as well as varmint hunting. I do a lot of varmint hunting, unfortunately i have to use my buddy's guns because of my caliber choices. It is time for me to get my own.

I want a caliber for long range varmint hunting and target shooting. After talking with my neighbor and his friend that i bought my last gun off, they do a lot of reloading and long range shooting i think i might just want to stick with a popular caliber like a 243. win or even make it a 243. AI. That way it will buck the wind better and have a little more power way out there compared to some of the smaller 223, 204, 22-250 will.

I dont know much about long range shooting seeing this will be my first long range rifle. I would be really interested in making a custom rifle but i dont know where to start. Help please.

I was looking at a Defiance action, a 26- 30" hart barrel or Kreiger barrel (somewhere around a 1-7 to 1-9" twist) , a Macmillan A5 stock (maybe), Jewel Trigger and no idea from there? any ideas? any other stocks out there that work good? Recommendations on twist rates?

Please suggestions. For target practice, the majority of my long range shots will be at the 600 yard mark. I will obviously like to stretch it out as far as i can possibly keep it flying. I would like to try for 1000 yards but the 600 yard mark is my main goal. For hunting, it will be pretty much anything that walks into my cross hairs that im comfortable taking the shot at. Right now is about 350 yards, with my buddy's 223. rem, and about 400 yards with my neighbors 243. win. They both have factory rifles.

I would like to shoot something around a 87grain V-Max, 105 grain V-Max, or even try them 115 grainers. Most likely will be 87 grain and 105 grain and see which works best.

Im in the exact same boot. The research that i did i found the 6mm-284 shooting a 107 smk was the best for what you want and for what you might want to do. You can look at the thread i started about what caliber to choose for more info on the 6mm-284.

I like my 25-06 I used it for groundhogs in Ohio with 87 gr. bullets. The farthest hog I shot was 550 yds. I was 16 when I built this rifle back in the 70's when the 25-06 was still a wildcat. There is a lot better selection of bullets now a days.
Just my .02
Tarey

if you do alot of shooting might worry about barrel life if dont mind replacem then 25.06 or 6/6.5 284 will be fine the more over bore the round is the less barrel life out of these 6.5/ 284 would have more life this depends alot on the load and the barrel but though i would let you be aware be being that its the first custom i dont know what varmints you have in mind 6.5 on pd make mess but on yotes would be fine still be able to shot whitetail to might reccomend 260rem or 6.5 swede maybe the 6.5 lapua as your said 243 AI is nice round i have taken whitetail with it if your like it then go with that one being your first any of these will be great rifle

practice is probly the best thing you can do any round with good equipment will work

Dont know if the 243 AI is too bad of a bbl burner but that would be my choice with a fast twist for 105 VLDs. Would do some damage on pdogs and ground hogs, but would also make a good deer rifle for 600 yards or so...

The ones you mentioned are quite barrel burners, i have been contemplating my first varmint rig too. I'm pretty set on a 6mmBR. A 107 SMK at 3000fps with 2500+ rnds of barrel life and bullets costig $26/100? Sounds like a sweet gun to me!

As for your parts choices, all good stuff, mcmillian stocks have long waits unless you can find one in stock somewhere, maybe look at some others. All the top barrel makers make good stuff, go with what your gunsmith recommends.

Also, make sure you get good optics!! A rifle like this is no good with a Simmons scope. Get good bases and rings too.

One last bit if advice, put a few hundred aside for amenities such as bipods and reloading gear other than the obvious (dies, shellplate, etc) these costs really creep up on you. Better to factor them in from the start when your contemplating if you can afford the build.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.