Long Range Hunting....Absolutely

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by riof16, Oct 5, 2005.

1. riof16

riof16 Active Member

Having flown several Iraqi Freedom combat missions in the F-16, dropping 36k lbs of laser and GPS guided bombs, firing 250 rounds of 20MM from my M61A1 Vulcan cannon, AND being an intermediate long range varmint shooter myself, I can truly appreciate this story I just found on Lilja's website. Thought you guys might enjoy the read. I hope you are as inspired and motivated as me. Keep in mind as you read that 2430 "metres" is about a mile and a half.

Canadian Snipers....Heroes

- Captain Lafe Dunn, US Air Force

2. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

Lafe, I just wanted to say thank you for protecting my family's freedom, and thank you soooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! much for serving are country. Wildcat.

3. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

Lafe,
    I'd also like to extend my sincere Gratitude and Thanks for defending our country. If you get a chance maybe you could post some war stories or something about flying the F-16. I know I'd love to hear all about it. Thanks and God Bless

4. TheCanuck

TheCanuck Well-Known Member

Yeah quite the shot.
    And our government is filled with LIEberal arseholes who would rather get rid of our military. I'm proud of our boys, i like my country and i hate my government. Nice to see they are getting some recognition! Keep fighting and stay safe!

5. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

There are details of the story that are not included in news story on the Lilja website.

One small fact is the first round knocked a bag out of the guys hand and he could not figure out what had happened. Second round did the job. The guy on the trigger was fantastic but he had a great spotter to get him in on the second shot. The other versions of the story gets into the appreciation of the U.S. soldiers for the great support that these Canadian snipers teams gave them.

6. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

thank you for your service to our country.

7. Echo5Hotel

Echo5Hotel Active Member

Lafe, even I can admit that the Marines need help "sometimes". I tell you there is no better sound then incoming CAS either fixed wind or rotor we have much respect for you fly-boys....ummm Sir. But the article was outstanding, death from a far....ain't life grand.

8. riof16

riof16 Active Member

ALL:
    Your support and words of gratitude are what make it all worth it. When we see that our service and sacrifice has a purpose, we can go another day.

I'll try to answer all questions in a few words.

BOMAN: My first combat drop (bombs employed in combat) was Jan 24th, 2003. "Flash" and me were the only two F-16s up that night over Iraq. Cruising up WAY too close to Baghdad's ROBUST air defense looking for missiles/anti-aircraft artillery through our NVGs, I called for afterburners as we zoomed to 35,000 supersonic to get max standoff from the target as we pitched a couple 2000-pound GPS guided bombs into an Iraqi intel/communications outpost. I guess you could say we "hung up their phone". Many more combat missions later, and after losing 20 pounds in a couple months, I came home to enjoy much-needed rest that I never really got after all. There's your quick story...

Echo5: I did a lot of CAS and Killbox "hunting". Mostly 500 pound LGBs on tanks and other armor. I hit an SA-9 one day (IRON HAND), and cooked off the missiles. That's like shooting a full aerosol can with a .22 pistol from a couple feet away.

The high probability of mortality was well worth the rewards....not that I go around looking for wars to fight...

9. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

Lafe,
    Now thats what I'm talking about! Thats just amazing. I can't even imagine what that must feel like. Thanks for the story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif