long range hunter

300 HART

what do yall think of the gun works long range hunter that they show on the best of the west?
thats alot of money for a gun
have thought about gettin it alot of time in my head
but then when i see the price im like nope nevermind.lol

what yall think?

These packages that these guys offer I'm sure are quite nice. I just feel for the amount of money you spend on their package you could buy a cheaper, yet still very worthy rifle and spend more money on better optics. There is nothing wrong with buying a Savage (Varmint 12 Series, Tactical 10 Series, Long Range Hunter 11 & 111) model, Remington (Varmint, Tactical, SPS, Sendero, VTR), Weatherby (Vanguard, Mark V), Howa (M1500 Varmint, and Barreled actions) that can accomplish the same results.

You take any of these rifles listed above, most can be had for less than $1000. With some a little work would be required (trigger, bedding, maybe action truing).
This will cost you an additional $20 for a trigger, $60 for Devcon bedding, and if you want the action trued $150 to $300 dollars depending on the smith. Now if you buy the Savage nothing needs to be done. The factory does it for you already.

Regardless of the company, the fact is that you now have an extra $2000 dollars that can be used for glass. That is a significant amount of funds that would otherwise be spent on a rifle you may not like or a scope you may not like. The Howa is a cheap build even with having to get trigger work and bedding. You can produce a one hole shooter for less than $600.

So that is where I stand. I am a budget builder due to 3 kids and a wife. Other things obviously come before my rifles, so I have to be careful how I spend each penny. The only rifles that I would ever pay to have someone build that cost a few thousand dollars would be from a few of the smiths on this sight, and a local smith that if he is still in business when I can afford (probably be dead by then) that will be the route I go. Do some research which you already are. That will make swallowing the money spent a whole lot easier.

Tank

Well for the price of a LR-1000 ($6500) i could buy

Savage Model 12 Bench Rest 6.5-284 Norma ($1300)
Remington Model 700 Sendero 7mm Ultra Mag ($1200)
Weatherby Mark V Fibermark 30-378 Wby Mag ($1300)
Remington Model 700P MLR 338 Lapua ($1300)

and still have $1400 left over to do any work that may need to be done to them and buy bullets, brass and any other needed supplies.

So if you want to spend $6500 on a gun then why not get 4 or 5 for the price of the one. At least thats what i would do.

and still have $1400 left over to do any work that may need to be done to them and buy bullets, brass and any other needed supplies.

So if you want to spend $6500 on a gun then why not get 4 or 5 for the price of the one. At least thats what i would do.

Good Point!!!!!! I'm with you, can I borrow the Savage???:D You could buy one of these and then buy a Schmidt & Bender, or US Optics scope and still save about 1500 to 2000 dollars.

Tank

Man, those are pricey. I'm in agreement with the other posts. My guess is that you could do a custom build with a Lawton action, a high end barrel and all the other bells and whistles for less than that. I'm sorry I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid.:D Heck, what is Fifty going to charge for the Raptor.

I understand your point, but the BOTW rifle is a custom action, barrel, stock, trigger, etc.
I don't think it is fair to compare BOTW, Len's, Kirby's or any other custom gun builder to factory rigs. My 2 Cents

The bare rifle is $4500 and the rifle with the Huskemaw scope mounted and leveled is $6500.

That's a good chunk more than I paid for my custom build pictured in my signature, including the Mark 4 and probably all of my reloading gear.

It seems like the LRH rifle is reared towards the people who want a turn key system and not have to work up loads and such.

The bare rifle is $4500 and the rifle with the Huskemaw scope mounted and leveled is $6500.

That's a good chunk more than I paid for my custom build pictured in my signature, including the Mark 4 and probably all of my reloading gear.

It seems like the LRH rifle is reared towards the people who want a turn key system and not have to work up loads and such.

I agree 100%. That's what I was getting at. My guess is that you got some good advise from Jim, where to start, as far as a load is concerned.

If you want a turn key long range hunting system then it is a good deal. The calibers are really fine calibers for what we do.

If you are in a hurry and do not want to spend a year or two ordering parts and waiting on your turn at the smith then it is a good deal.

If you want a guarantee that a reputable person will stand behind then it is a good deal. And I assume most of us have been burned at least once by a gunsmith who would not stand behind his work.

If you are on a budget and have children to raise and orthodontist bills and a mortgage then you surely are not going to be buying a turn key rifle.

Kirby built me an Edge on a 700LSS. Rifle($1750 total), scope ($1250 Leupold), reloading equipment (all) and components over the life of several barrels wouldn't come close to that amount of money. Even if I threw in my Savage 7mm Mag and all the fixins.
I too have a family and a budget. I can't just drop up-teen thousand dollars when I want. So I guess that makes me a little bias. I have to admit that I do try and buy the best I can afford and might drop what I consider big money on a rifle if so monitarily endowed...but then again, I don't think my name and endowed have ever been in the same sentence!:D:rolleyes:

So let me see if I understand the situation properly

Every time someone recommends that a person buy a rifle from Len

Bravo4
3fingervic
Jarhead 21
Liltank
sniperjwt

are all going to come up on the thread and recommend against buying a rifle from Len simply because they personally cannot afford it.

Is that the situation?

Do you not understand that running this large of a forum costs money and despite your not paying for any of it yourself that someone has to pay for it. Where do you think the money to pay for the forum comes from.

I suggest you take a second and apologize for your thoughtlessness and lack of appreciation.

The other thing Len is doing, which is a great move in my mind, is keeping all these rifles on the shelf or available in 4 weeks. As we all know, getting a rifle of this quality generally involves a long wait. Both from the perspective of business\marketing and furthering our sport, it is a great idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts