Long range elk performance of the Sierra Match King 300gr 338

jponto

Does anyone have any experience with the Sierra Match King bullets (in particular the 338 - 300 gr bullets)on elk?

Do these bullets even open up? Ranges 400 - 1200 yds.

Via 338 Lapua.

Thanks in advance.

joe

JJP,

If you go to the hunting section and check out dad's first elk you will see the baseball sized hole the 300 SMK left for an exit on a heart shot at 563 yards. I have seen or done a pile of game shots with the 300 gr SMK and have not one complaint.

I bud of mine in Idaho uses nothing but 300MK in his 338-416 Rigby, has killed many elk and the longest being 725 yards. He said the bullet blew out the heart and part of a lung, wound channel was more than he expected at that distance. The elk ran about 30 yards and dropped.

Dave

I have been shooting the .338 300g SMK in a imp lapua for 5 years for elk and deer hunting no complantes. Pic is a piece of a .338 300g jacket recovered form a elk. I have taken Big game out to 1850 maters with the 300g SMK

442314.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts