Long Range dropchart comparisons, anyone have a good one?

AJ Peacock

Howdy all,

I am trying to decide which LR rifle I want to have built. No, this isn't another 'which rifle is best' posts. What I am looking for is a side by side comparison of the different calibers that are often talked about here on the forums.

I've looked in the search and haven't been able to find a complete comparison. If anyone has done this, or has data they can run through one of the ballistic programs, I would really appreciate it.

The ones I would like to compare are the .338 Edge, 300 RUM, 270 AM, 277AM, 7mm Rem Mag, others?.

I realize these are apples and oranges and each of the calibers listed is the best for some particular situations. But I think I will better understand these cartridges once I look at a side/side comparison of the data.

For all the Wildcats, I'd assume a 30" barrel (28.5+brake). For the 300RUM and 7mm Rem, I'd assume a 26" barrel no brake.

Each loaded with the best LR (heavyweight bullet) they will accurately digest.

The data I would like to see would be from Muzzle every 50 yards out to 1500yds, Velocity and MOA drop (inches drop would be OK), Wind drift (10mph).

This data is just for comparison sake, so as long as the environmental info is consistent it doesn't matter what it is.

That way I can do some serious thinking on when to smash open my piggy bank and what to spend it on.

I'll give this thread a week and then I'll start compiling my own list.

Thanks all,
AJ

AJ.

Not sure if I correctly catch your drift /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hope this hits the mark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Goto: here and download the spreadsheet.

Then do a search on the calibers you listed. That will get you all kinds of velocity numbers. Except for Wildcat bullets, you'll know the BCs. Calculation of external ballistics is pretty easy after that.

For the AMs, "my" tho'ts are you'd only want to consider wildcat bullets or possibly the heaviest SMKs for the caliber.

I have just completed the same process as you are doing and selected none of the above (cartridges you listed) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I doubt I will regret it. In fact I'm pretty much excited. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Roy,

Thanks, I am just thinking that someone has done this already. If not, I'll do it next weekend (I'll be travelling all week). I downloaded a couple free ballistic programs, so thats good. I figured I'd post and save myself a few hours.

Which Calibers did you compare?

Thanks,
AJ

If you are looking for something that resembles a remington catalog of all their rifle rounds with energies and velocities and drops but with all the odd ball rounds that are used by everyone in LRH the simple answer is no it has not been compiled. Many have compared one round to another but I have not seen many of them compared under identical theoretical conditions and published here as a general "apples to apples" chart.

By all means, gather it up and put it together. I would love to see it. You might throw a post in "Bullets, barreles and Ballistics" asking for which rounds others would like to see compared and asking for velocities and commonly used bullets with their BC for these rounds to help you put it together.

Good luck. This should be a fun and educational project to follow.

[ QUOTE ]
Many have compared one round to another but I have not seen many of them compared under identical theoretical conditions and published here as a general "apples to apples" chart.

By all means, gather it up and put it together. I would love to see it. You might throw a post in "Bullets, barreles and Ballistics" asking for which rounds others would like to see compared and asking for velocities and commonly used bullets with their BC for these rounds to help you put it together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Idea 4ked Horn, I'll do that.

AJ

If you are planning on shooting deer at 1500 yds that is one gun. If you are planning on shooting elk at 1500 yds the list grows very small. If you value your shoulder joints, the list gets even smaller. For 1500yds and on the 338s are going to win any killing contest but you pay for it in recoil.

Guns I have considered for elk up to but not beyond 1500 yds.

7mm AM w bullet weigth of 175gr or more
30-378Wby w 220 or 240 SMKs
338-378 Wby and 338- 416Imp (I am much too wimpy to shoot the big 338 cartridges)

There are other 338s ( thunder Khan, etc) that will do the job I just am not a 338 fan because of the recoil issue and do not keep track of them.

There is a 300 Tomahawk which I believe is a Improved 300 Rum and is slightly slower than the 30-378.

You got no email addrerss in your profile. If you put one there I will send you some of my stuff.

BuffaloBob,

I added my email to my profile I thought I had it in there, but it was just for admins.

Thanks for any info, its tough to decide when you are remote to all these Wildcats.

Thanks again,
AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.