Long range Crow

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Forester, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Forester

Forester Well-Known Member

I know its not the long range some here are capable of but its a new world for me. After practicing quite a bit from a bipod and from my shooting sticks and working on good long range loads for my Savage .308. I finally got a good long range shot, went through the process and down went a crow at 455 lasered yards.

The way we were setup I was not expecting a shot that far so I was using shooting sticks, I personally wouldn't try a shot on big game from that distance from sticks but on a crow or groundhog I'm game.gun)The shot was on nearly zero incline, 455 yards, and I called a 5mph crosswind at 90* to the shot. I just checked my chart, dialed the scope and shot; and was psyched with the results.

A friend and I have been doing a fair amount of groundhog hunting this summer but most shots have been inside 250 yards so basically point blank for my .308 with the 110 V-Maxs.

We also got a couple groundhogs in the 2 hours we were out but none very far away and one at about 15feet:rolleyes:

2. timl

timl Well-Known Member

A crow at 455 is good no matter who you are!

3. Crane

Crane Well-Known Member

I love shooting crows. Kinda hard this time of year with all of the leaves still on the trees. Crows are some pecan stealin' m'fer's. I think they steal them for spite or the thrill of it because I've seen them drop them and come back for more.

4. gube204

gube204 Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, Crows, ravens and magpies. I use a couple of bags of cheap dog food set out at about 200 yds from the house with a good view from my upstairs window and then let the fun begin. Lots of "giggle factor" when you can see a 39 gr, 20 cal blitz king connect with a good visual of the impact through the scope.

5. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

+1

It would have been nice to have some pictures.

6. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

I bet some V-max's would be fun on those nasty old crows:cool:

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Bustin Feathers..gun):D

8. Forester

Forester Well-Known Member

Yeah it would, I did not have my camera with me so no luck...just have to do it again I guessgun)

From what I could tell through the scope the V-Max did not do much damage. The crow flopped around like the bullet just punched a .308 caliber hole through it, usually the 110gr V-maxs are pretty violent about what they do to a groundhog. I guess a crow does not offer enough resistance to make them blow up the same way?

9. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

I'm guilty of not packing my camera with me all the time! :)