Long range bow hunting

I agree with you aroshtr 100% I like to get as close as possible. I was just curious how far some of u have shot. I practise alot in all kinds of angles and weather I practise at 60yds and can put 6 arrows in a 6inch group when I shoot at least 4 times a week.

My longest kill so far is a whitetail at 32yds.

BB, I hear you and agree.

I can't believe that I have to get into this again but with all the new members I guess it's inevitable. I think that Len's Rule about people complaining about the ethics of what some people can do applies not only to the rifle long range hunting but also to this particular section of the forum. Please do not place your ethics and skill level limitations on others, we are all here to discuss things related to long range hunting and some of our abilities are not all the same or equal with any equipment we may use. So to make a long story short, please leave your comments about the ethics of hunters that you don't know anything about OFF of this forum, no matter what your credentials are.

Len, sorry for acting like an administrator but this kind of thing ticks me off too.

My longest Whitetail was 46 yards. I don't usually have that much long range bow hunting opportunity because I bowhunt mostly in hardwoods.

I only bowhunt whitetail so my range limit is based upon varying conditions. Hunting in an open field, hardwoods, or sometimes cedars will change my limit as well as the alertness and/or position of the deer.

I would shoot out to 60 if conditions were perfect.

thanks for the backup

I have to side with elkhuntinguru. I think that bowhunting is totally different than rifle hunting. I think that being able to hit a 6" group with ALL 5-6 arrows is a good determiner of what your maximum distance should be. However, I think it should be in a hunting type situation (not stading flat footed in your back yard in your jeans and tennis shoes next to your 50yd marker, with no wind at noon on saturday) If you can't do this kind of accuracy in hunting clothes, from kneeling/treestand positions while your cold and nervous, you shouldn't attempt the shot.

I know I put a lot of time in my rifle hunting preperation, and KNOW that when I pull the trigger, that the target/animal at the other end of the scope is going to die! I don't think this kind of confidence is possible with a bow.

Some things to consider:
1. Our arrows flight time is MUCH longer than a rifle bullets path. Thus animals have a cance to move postions before the arrow gets there.
2. The sound of the bow is heard well before the arrow gets to the animal which gives them a cance to "jump the string"
3. Wind drift can be quite significant with arrows. It is also difficult to calculate how much drift we will get (lots of practice is the only way).
4. An archers "effective" kill zone is much smaller than a rifle unters. No head, neck, high/front shoulder, no broken leg/hip bones to slow the animal enough for a second shot..... you get the idea. There is no room for error!

I know people that have killed animals at long range with a bow, but these same people have wounded more than their fair share (even if they don't tell others, I bet it is happening).

Now a little background about me so that people reading this know that I do actually know what I am talking about, and not just blowing smoke. I am a registered NFAA Professional. I have been shootin competitively and hunting for 19 years. I have won many 3d and target tournaments at the local, state, and the national level. I travel across the country shooting with the BEST archers in the world, and know what is capable with bow and arrow. I have also worked in the archery industry for years, and see what all types bowhunters are actually capable of when "the chips are down". I have killed 6 elk and 15 deer with archery equipment. Yes I have wounded animals, but that was when I was new and learning. Now, with a strong sense of ethics and hard work, since 1997 I have not wounded/lost a single animal, I missed one mule deer doe in 1999 at 32 yards when my arrow hit a branch I did not see. Everything else that I sent an arrow at has died.

Here are my personal limits and why. Keep in mind that anything over 35 yards MUST be rangefound befre shooting, or I won't take the shot. 2 yards means a LOT with a bow, no matter how fast you are shooting. (I shoot a heavy carbon arrow at 290fps with a good fixed blade broadhead)

Elk: 55 yards max - This in ideal conditions only. They rarely jump the string, and have a large kill zone.

Mule deer: 50 yards - Again ideal conditions only (which is rare in mule deer country) They also don't jump the string very often.

White-tail deer: 35 yards MAX - They are just way to jumpy and hyper and usually move somewhat before the arrow gets there!

Sorry for the long post guys, but I do feel that archery and rifle hunting are different, and long shots at 80+ yards and stuff like that have no place in bowhunting. I think most peolpe that bowhunt enjoy the callenge of getting up close and personal with our prey. So always try and get closer!

aroshtr
i enjoyed reading your post even though it was long i still enjoyed it just so you know I also have been in the sport for many years (1983) was my first yes i have taken long range shots and yes i have lost an animal my longest kill was on an elk it was 65 yrds and perfect conditions double lung he went 78 yrds before he expired. my only lost animal was at 13 yrds a beautiful 6x6 bull he was slightly quartered toward me the arrow placement looked perfect i still dont know what happened less than 4 inches of arrow sticking out when he turned and left but that bull went 45 yrds laid down and 1 hour later when i went to retrieve him he was still alive he got up staggered away and was never seen again this happened to me this year 2007 I still dont know what happened but it did and it will haunt me for ever I still go look for him when i got time to get up there very close to home I have killed 17 elk and 24 bucks with my bow at 1 time i was ranked 9th in the state of oregon I also shoot many 3d shoots as well as practice every chance i get I dont set my bow up for 3d I believe if i know my weapon i can shoot just as well with my hunting set up as any target bow besides i do it for the simple fact that the game i hunt deserves all my respect some peeps can shoot longer range i wont deny that but i also dont want to see peeps shooting that far just because there buddy does or there idol respect the game u hunt and dont get so excited u risk a shot that may send a majestic animal like an elk off to die because u exceeded your personal limits out of greed or excitement happy hunting and ty again

im not pushing my ethics

BB, I hear you and agree.

I can't believe that I have to get into this again but with all the new members I guess it's inevitable. I think that Len's Rule about people complaining about the ethics of what some people can do applies not only to the rifle long range hunting but also to this particular section of the forum. Please do not place your ethics and skill level limitations on others, we are all here to discuss things related to long range hunting and some of our abilities are not all the same or equal with any equipment we may use. So to make a long story short, please leave your comments about the ethics of hunters that you don't know anything about OFF of this forum, no matter what your credentials are.

Len, sorry for acting like an administrator but this kind of thing ticks me off too.
just to clear things up im not pushing my ethics on anyone im just saying only shoot what your abilities are cappable of and only yours if your buddy hunting with u can shoot 70 yrds doesnt mean u can get my drift there are hunters out there that will do that just cause there pal can think twice before u do and do what u feel comfortable with thats how i use the term ethics

just to clear things up im not pushing my ethics on anyone im just saying only shoot what your abilities are cappable of and only yours if your buddy hunting with u can shoot 70 yrds doesnt mean u can get my drift there are hunters out there that will do that just cause there pal can think twice before u do and do what u feel comfortable with thats how i use the term ethics

Just to clear things up, I didn't appreciate you preaching at me the first time and I do not appreciate it the second time. If you do not have the backbone to stand up and apologize for preaching to all of us unwashed heathens because you are some superior being sent by God to inform us of when and how we should shoot, then that is up to you.

And just so you know how little I am impressed with your skill, I had already made a 70 yard kill before you even took up the sport.

You can go to the original thread and see that ones beliefs can be handled without acting like you are some morally superior being.

And as far as the other guy who some how thinks that some one who shoots at long range is a liar and covering up wounding, all I got to say is both of you seem to believe you are missionaries sent straight from St Peter to save all of us pagans from heathenism and that we should turn this into the Get Closer Short Range forum.

The two of you have really managed to screw up a good thread with all of your preaching.

BB Ive been watching this forum for a little while now
and am starting to get a feel for some of you guys.
Your post in my topic did not bother me a bit
and you may in the futher get a little dung on your face from me
but know it is all in fun.
I have taken about a dozen critters with my bow.
All at 30yds or less because that is where I am GOOD.
Mike

I'll just admit it I am unethical, I took my doe this year at 81 yards. She was standing at 110 yards so I waited until just before dark and she got 81 yards away standing broadside. I think the pie plate theory works great I new I could make the shot so I took it. The arrow went through her like a knife through butter, She jumped about 5 foot high and went to the ground. I think you guys should not be telling people what you think is unethical because its not the way you hunt. One mans trash is another mans gold. We are here for fun, learning, and long range hunting, Buffalo Bob has been on here helping people (me) for a long time so you would be wise to listen to him and take his advise.

If you took what I said as him being unethical than you took me all wrong.
I only stated that I shoot out to 30 yards because I can do that with a piece of mind.
I am just starting to know and learn from you guys and I have learned that Bob will whip the dog crap out of anyone because he likes to...
And I am not worried about that and said I will jab right back at him if
I have the chance.
Each and everyone of you know your limitations (or should) and I know mine.
30yards with a bow and 300 with a rifle.
That is why I am here...
Happy Hunting,
Mike:)

Lazylabs,

Sorry, it's been a while. Unfortunately I don't remember what my friend shoots. It's one of the faster bows for last year. I think he was telling me 320something. He rests his stabilizer on steady stix, and carries them always. He regularly shoots to 120-30. He told me of a muley he took at 100 and some change.

My personal rig is a switchback. I have room for seven pins. So, I shoot to ninety. This is without stix. I have tried the stix, and they certainly work. However, I don't use them while hunting.

Give it a try. My friend looks at bows like some look at rifles. His rigs are purpose built for long range. And he hunts accordingly. There's always folks who say things shouldn't / couldn't be done. There's always other folks who figure out how to do it.

30 yards with 40lb recurve shooting 2016's with 160 grain Woodsman,,those arrows drop like a rock,,,but they sure do kill good!! Light bow,,heavy arrows,,,don't have too good of a trajectory!! But I ALWAYS hit what I aim at, and it dies real quick!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.