Long range ammo

hutner3421

I recently joined the forum hoping to get some insight and pointers into long range shooting. I am looking at eventually getting into competive long range shooting, so hope to get some tips from you all. I am currently focusing on my ammo. I am curious if there is a factory loaded round that I can purchase that has consistant BC ( balistic coeficient) out of the box. I am also considering loading my own ammo. I know that loading my own is less expensive in the long run. I have never loaded my own ammo, so this is why I am inquiring into factory loaded ammo. I am shooting a .308 out of a remington 700 base with a 26" barrel having a 1 in 12 twist. I am currently shooting right at 1 MOA with inexpensive Win and Rem ammo, but almost always end up with a flyer about every 4th or 5th round. Obviously want to get sub MOA grouping and understand that I will have to do some more mods to my rifle before I can achieve this, but want the best oppurtunity with what I have.

I would appreciate any suggestions or input and if there is any additional info needed......please ask.

Thanks

I am glad your not my neighbor, being you are in Texas. He was buging me about having me teach him how to reload I told him to get a book and read everything he can and when I feel better I will help him. Well did he listen? nope! he fired a hand load with out my help and it just blew a bunch of soot and flash from his action..The Range Master and every one notised this was not right so they checked and the brass was burned down the side and the bullet was about 10 inches stuck in the Barrel.
Start with Black Hills or go up to Nosler..take your time and don't let your barrel get hot.
Many Rifles shoot better with a fouled Barrel, all mine do.
I don't know if you are shooting off hand but when I was a little boy of 10 years there was a man who was a good friend of my brother's father inlaw. he trained Marines in the
1st and 2nd WWs he would make me stand and point my .22 at a spot on a cedar fence
this guy was one helova target shooter, he would use the old Springfield he left me and at 100 yards he would kill 8oz juice cans full of water they were taped to the the fence and he would aim, shoot aim shoot! he never missed. this guy as a "quote" they could pin all his awards on him and he would sink in lake Huron. If you wish to reload read as much as you can use good equipment and the best hunting bullets, but for target shooting, I use match rounds from Hornaday.
Speer is great also, but read and learn all you can.

I recently joined the forum hoping to get some insight and pointers into long range shooting. I am looking at eventually getting into competive long range shooting, so hope to get some tips from you all. I am currently focusing on my ammo. I am curious if there is a factory loaded round that I can purchase that has consistant BC ( balistic coeficient) out of the box. I am also considering loading my own ammo. I know that loading my own is less expensive in the long run. I have never loaded my own ammo, so this is why I am inquiring into factory loaded ammo. I am shooting a .308 out of a remington 700 base with a 26" barrel having a 1 in 12 twist. I am currently shooting right at 1 MOA with inexpensive Win and Rem ammo, but almost always end up with a flyer about every 4th or 5th round. Obviously want to get sub MOA grouping and understand that I will have to do some more mods to my rifle before I can achieve this, but want the best oppurtunity with what I have.

I would appreciate any suggestions or input and if there is any additional info needed......please ask.

Thanks

Put it on a bench and try Black Hills 168 and 175 if you dont get the results you want then try Federal Gold Medal 168 and 175. Between these four I have always found one that would work. Most often 175 Black hills.
If one works try and get as much as you can from the same lot#
Good Luck &good shooting

Hornady and Black Hills match will probably be satisfactory, but I personally would recommend the Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr SMK.

And if you decide to handload, you can duplicate this load with even greater precision and/or tailor the load to your rifle.

Good luck.

I've had alot of good results with American Eagle 168 gr.OTM. My M1A match rifle and 700 SPS Tactical are shooting under an inch with it. At around $14.00 a box it's a good deal. It's made by Federal and the ballistics is very similar to GMM. I've used it out to 600 yards.

Thanks

As an additional note, about handloading, it technically is cheaper to handload per box of ammo... but it will take quite a bit of reloading to recoup the price of your reloading equipment. That being said, it is better, usually, by the accuracy standpoint. If you ask most hardcore reloaders why they reload, they may throw the price point at you, but it usually is mainly for accuracy (and/or the fact that they did it themselves). Myself being one of these :).

I have been reloading for a few other people though, and have probably covered most of my costs through this lol.

Last edited:
Corbon ammo, 308 win 155gr lapua scenar. i bought corbon for my 6.5x284 just to get the cases, turns out they were tack drivers.

What kind of mods have you done to your rifle so far, if any?

Is it a factory barrel/action/trigger? Has it been bedded? Some more info would help on getting back positive responses.

I am not trying to be a smartass, but I feel the need to correct your question:
I am curious if there is a factory loaded round that I can purchase that has consistant BC ( balistic coeficient) out of the box.

BC is determined by the bullet itself, and how well it flies through the air. Higher BC = less drag during flight. The brand of ammo really has no effect on consistant BC (assuming they are using quality bullets). ES and SD are another story however. Different ammo will produce better or worse Extreme Spread & Standard Deviation which will affect your ability to hit a target at long distance. If the velocity (which is what ES and SD are indicating) varies shot to shot by too much, then the impact on target will vary shot to shot too.

Once again not trying to put you down, just tryin to let you know the terminology.

Good Luck 2U.:)

The man said he is " shooting a .308 out of a remington 700 base with a 26" barrel having a 1 in 12 twist "

125 to 160 gr bullets usually shoot better in a 1 in 10 " twist.

170 to 200 grain bullets fare better with 1 in 12 " twists

Also bullet length in increments of 10 / 1,000ths can offset any inconsistencies in 5 shot 100 yd groups.

I have one rifle that prefers 2.827 " OAL and the other 2.850" , both barrels being 1 in 9 1/4 " twists.

I am now breaking in a new 700 with a SHILEN 1 in 9 " twist

I shoot 7MM-08 out to 1,000 yds using AMAX 162 gr ,Sierra Match King 160 gr and Berger 168 gr Boat Tail propelled by H 414 powder and Magnum primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.