long range 7mm cartridges

Well I would normally say that but too many people that I trust that have them are getting the same results. Sounds like it won't work but it does. I'm not familiar the Sherman round.

Corey
I'm going to have to agree with Rich. If pushed to the same pressures with similar powders, the 7RM will slightly outrun the the 280 AI. That being said, RL17 is a good powder in the 280AI and other .06 variants, and could possibly eclipse the 7RM. Not sure how RL17 performs in the 7RM, but it might do well there too.

Edit to add...

RL17 is also good in the WSMs which again would probably eclipse the 7RM. Based on what I've read so far, I think the 7WSM would be a good choice for the OP. Reasonable costs, as good a barrel life as any of the others, and a good chance that it will push a 180 bullet close to 3000 fps with a good load of RL17. It pushes a 180 bullet 3193 in my 300 WSM.

Last edited:
I have never used RL 17 ,but I've done some reading on it ,and I guess it is not the best as far as being temp stable. Take it for what its worth ,Mabey some of these guys have more knowledge about it. I do like that it gets more velocity though.

Last edited:
Well I would normally say that but too many people that I trust that have them are getting the same results. Sounds like it won't work but it does. I'm not familiar the Sherman round.

Corey

It is similar to the A.I. but holds more powder.....Rich

a shooter using a custom 7mm RSAUM just won the australian F class open long range titles using 180gr bergers @ 2970fps.

Almost the same ballistic performance as a 7mmWSM with 7% less powder and less recoil = better efficiency. - i have decided this will be the chambering of my switch barrel for my 375CT rifle so i can screw the barrel on, slide the new bolt in and go use it for F-Class. :D

So would the 7mm-300 fit in a standard 7mmRM action or does it need to be a bigger action?

Corey

It would depend on the bullets you used and how you throated the chamber. The Rem box is about 3.71" long. The 300 WM case is 2.62" long, so it shouldn't be hard to make it work. The Howa box is about 3.58" long so it would be a tighter fit.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 7mm mag myself. Originally I was thinking of upping to the STW. After talking to my smith he suggested that I stay with the 7rem mag unless I wanted a 28+" barrel. He thought the benefits of the STW were not worth the extra money (extended mag, powder, brass, dies, barrel life) in a 26" barrel. I didn't ask about the wsm or the rsaum, I have heard of some feeding issues with the short mags.

Well, my barrel is done and ships tomorrow and I am still questioning if I should stay with the rem mag or dive into a new cartridge. My barrel will finish at 26" and wondering how the STW would perform with a 26" tube. Also curious about the short mags in a rem 700 magnum action. So in a 10 lb, 26" barreled hunting rifle any reason for me to change from a 7 RM?

I've been looking into appropriate long range (1000 yd and under) calibers now for a while, trying to make up my mind for a new rifle. I saw on the sierra website that their advertised BC for a 7mm 180gr Matchking is 0.660 @ 1650 fps (!) compared to the .30 caliber 220gr SMK with a BC of 0.629 @ 2100 fps..

Nothing you shoot at 1000 yds or under is going to notice the BC difference anyway.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 7mm mag myself. Originally I was thinking of upping to the STW. After talking to my smith he suggested that I stay with the 7rem mag unless I wanted a 28+" barrel. He thought the benefits of the STW were not worth the extra money (extended mag, powder, brass, dies, barrel life) in a 26" barrel. I didn't ask about the wsm or the rsaum, I have heard of some feeding issues with the short mags.

Well, my barrel is done and ships tomorrow and I am still questioning if I should stay with the rem mag or dive into a new cartridge. My barrel will finish at 26" and wondering how the STW would perform with a 26" tube. Also curious about the short mags in a rem 700 magnum action. So in a 10 lb, 26" barreled hunting rifle any reason for me to change from a 7 RM?

The 7RM was my go to rifle for many years and served me well. It's barrel is burned out now. I won't have another 7RM again. I would rather go the WSM route. That being said I would like to do a 7-300 Dakota wildcat with 35* shoulders before too long. (I'm currently doing a 300 Dakota) It would be a perfect fit for a Vanguard/Howa action. The 7 Dakota (which is slightly shorter than the 300 Dakota) comes very close to the STW, but brass is spendy, but it is Norma brass. Going the Dakota route will be a little more costly but you will get more horse power than the RM or WSM... about 200 fps.

str8shoot, the STW will shoot 150-200 fps faster than the remington in a 26" barrel with 168 or180 grain bullets. My 26" STW's shoot great. The STW is in another league from the little remington no matter what barrel length you shoot them in. Barrel wear is not much different if you take care of it.

LTLR, thanks for the reply. I've been meaning to pick your brain about your STWs, I know you have several. Do you have extended magazines in all of your STWs? I think if I went the STW route I would probably shoot a 160 accubond or something with a little more integrity at higher velocity. I am wondering if the extended mag would be a must without shooting the VLDs.
The smith I talked to had compared an STW he built with a rem mag he built both with 26" barrels. Maybe he has a better reamer for the remmy version? If I do decide to go STW I should probably use a different smith.

I do not have extended magazines on mine because they shoot very well seated back off the lands and feed well that way. I shoot the 162 Amax quite a bit and can shoot it very accurate seated at max length for my magazine. Mine are on the longest Sako actions and wby mk 5's capable of feeding well even with the RUM's so I have long magazines already. I don't have my oal handy with the 162.

I also shoot the 160 accubond and it is a better choice for anything beyond deer. The amax is fragile. It just depends on your action and how close to the lands it needs to be in your rifle. I think there is a good chance you could do it. The Dakota is a great choice because of the velocity it gets while being short enough to seat bullets way out there and still feed well in any magnum action. It wasn't around when I built my STW's however I still probably would have gone the STW route because of cheap, easily obtained brass from several manufaturers. And the fact with my long magnum actions the length doesn't affect me as much.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.