long range 7 mag

redneck watchdog

i have a remmington model 700 in the 7mm mag caliber. it is totally stock. i have a zeiss 3-12 x 56 conquest scope. i want to make it a long range (up to 100 yds) what all do i need to do to it to make it so. i have already planned on getting some work done on the trigger but dont know what i should do to it. what are yalls thoughts

Well for starters I will asume that you have a typo and you mean 1000 yards. Very first thing you need to do is see how it shoots. Needs to hold 1 MOA or better, well doesn't need to but will really help. If you find a good load that groups well, next thing I would do is test the scope to verify that it will track correctly.

Ditto, I shoot 100 looking for 1/2-3/4 group, then to 200, looking for 1 1/2-2'', then I go to 400, looking for 2-3''. Most factor rifles of mine have done this. Then I work them out farther until 1000. At the further ranges I only shoot in no wind for developement until proven.

you can adjust the trigger your self. google "remongton crisp". i have an adl and a sendero in 7mm mag. if you can get good groups at 100 and 200 with your sporter . maybe all you need is a kenton knobb and range finder.

yes that was a typo i ment 1000 yards. i am working on getting a range finder. i am also planning on sending my scope in to get it retrofitted for turrets, at the end of hunting season. i am also planning on doing some shooting with different bullets and seeing which patterns better.

you guys in LA. have (water) and long hunting seasons. i am so envious. you could count clicks to try some longer ranges and see what you get . hopefully on a day with very little wind.

If you want to shoot that far you are gonna need to handload your own ammo. With a Remington, clean the rifle before you shoot it..thoroughly. Buy one box of factory ammo and shoot one then clean for the first 10 or until your bore quits collecting copper. Have you handloaded ammo before?

Have you handloaded ammo before?

no and i really dont have the money to buy the equiptment now. i may in the future but i am spending a lot of money on other things and i still like to eat 3 or 4 times a week. i looked into loading shotgun shells about a year ago. i already have the equiptment, it was willed to me, but it was more economical to just buy cheap shells to shoot target practice.

you guys in LA. have (water) and long hunting seasons.

yes we do have water. but not as much as people think. i do know how to get to the swamp and it is not far but i do not have to take a boat to work. and we do have nice seasons. not long enough if you ask me. but i guess it never is. they do call us the sportsman's paradise:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.