Long Range .243 bullet

Greg Duerr

I drew a deer tag for Nevada and I received my new .243 Ackley a month ago.................it has a 1x9 twist and Im thinking about useing the 95gr Berger VLD....

Does anyone have any experiance with this bullet in the .243's if not what recomendations would you have.

I would step up to the 105gr in the Berger or Amax. I use the amax and it has proved to be very effective on deer out to 300 yds.....that's the longest shot the deer have given me so far. The numbers say around 500yds max in my rifle. I would think your AI should have a little longer reach. My mv is 2970 using Superformance out of a 22" barrel. Good luck!

A nine twist might be too slow for the 105's but try them to see. I use 105 Bergers in my 243 AI with an eight twist and have had great success. 402 yards on a ND Antelope and 338 yards on another. Good luck and PM me if you need any recipes or help.

A nine twist might be too slow for the 105's but try them to see. I use 105 Bergers in my 243 AI with an eight twist and have had great success. 402 yards on a ND Antelope and 338 yards on another. Good luck and PM me if you need any recipes or help.

yup..yup.. 9 might work. try and see.

I love the 105 Amax.

here is my son and his antelope this past fall..
watch video...

[ame=http://youtu.be/5EFBRvPhgic]Tyler 2011 Goat - YouTube[/ame]

he was very happy and now has him hanging on his wall !!

ivory tips were almost 2 inches long !!

I use the 95 Berger in 6mm AI. I was fire forming cases while hunting last season. I use enough of a charge to get 3100 f/s from the bullet.

I shot 2 antelope with it, one was running, I didn't get the range, and the other was 350y. The bullet was absolutely devastating. It's a good choice.

What powder? I was looking at 4007SSC but some of you mentioned Performance......................

After fireforming what starting charge with your given powder would you recomend...........

I thought that the A-Max was a target bullet, but I have heard that some use the 107 Sierra as a hunting bullet also......................................

G

I'm gonna throw in an odd recipe for your 9 twist AI, 108grn BIB flat base vld, same J4 jacket as the bergers, .52 bc, specifically designed for a 9 twist, depending on barrel length it can be pushed well over 3200fps with H4831sc, due to the flat base its not the best past 700 yards, but inside of that its one of the most accurate.

I would look no further than the 105AM, 105 Horn HPBT, or 105 Berger VLD. The 105 Horn HPBT, with its .530 BC, would probably be the start and ending point of my search, if you can get it to shoot as well as the AM or VLD.

Can't remember the guys name, just type BIB bullets in to google and his site will show up. His bullets use to be pretty reasonable as well, like 130 for 500.

Amaxes are incredible hunting bullets...

did you see the performance of the 105 amax on the link I posted on page one ?

Here is a 6mm line up for you to see...

6mmlinex600.jpg

Last edited:
The Davidson brothers of Long Range Pursuit have switched to the Hornady Amax's . Aaron was compiling info from this past season. Should be interesting to see how they compared to the Bergers in previous seasons.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.