long range 22 ammo

Discussion in 'Rimfire and Airguns' started by Markbrx, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Markbrx

Markbrx Member

What ammo are you shooting for 100yds+ steel shooting? I have been out of rimfire shoot for a while, I see some of the stuff I was using is no longer made.
    Mark Schronce

2. Backstrap Bandit

Backstrap Bandit Member

Hi Mark
    I have great results with CCI 40gr round nose. I'm shooting a Marlin 880 with see through rings and a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope.
    BB gun)

3. retiredcpo

retiredcpo Well-Known Member

Mark
    we use american eagle for all of our 22 shooting its not the fancy high dollar stuff but its consistant shooting, My buddy can hit 12in steel at 300 yards with mil dots
    Im sure there is no poop left when it gets there but it does get there
    retiredcpo

4. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

Federal bulk ammo does great for 70-80% of your shots, but you will get 20-30% that will fly all over the place. Shooting squirrels I've had great luck at up to 200 yards using CCI Stingers. I'm getting ready to order some different match loads, some subsonic ammo, and different types of hypervelocity ammo to see if there is a real difference in how well they group at 200 yards.

ClayneB does a ton of long range shoots with his 22 and he seems to prefer the Blazer stuff.

5. logan777

logan777 Member

Cci stinger 32g awesome if u have the barrel for it ground hogs all day on the short end of 200yds

6. FAL Shot

FAL Shot Well-Known Member

CCI Velocitor is the best I have found. Much better in high winds at distance than CCI Stinger. Carries much more energy past 100 yards. I like Stinger 100 yards or less, prefer Velocitor beyond 100 yards.

7. kansas45

kansas45 Well-Known Member

I've messed around with several different kinds of ammo, with good results coming from Wolf, Winchester & Remington sub-sonic. I find my favorite being CCI Mini-Mag HP though. A couple of my friends & I shoot 200 yds almost every weekend, weather permiting. Rim fire is a lot of fun & teaches good wind reading & trigger control, along with the other things that are important to rifle shooting.

8. justgoto

justgoto Well-Known Member

I shoot about anything, but now CCI 40gr Blazers is what I'm shooting. Last time I went out I got a 300 yard hit on my 4 inch target; I hit the torso at will. So far, they seem to be consistent.

9. hvy barrel

hvy barrel Well-Known Member

Some friends & I used the CCI standard velocity 40gr round nose to shoot smallbore sillouette last year. It did fine. I think we are going to try the federal automatch this year & see how it does.