London Humour

Yup,

This thread ended well.

.....firm handshakes all round [Brits], group hugging and whooping [Our Former-Colonial Cousins]..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeza, delighted that you finally got your AWP!! ....Let us know how you get on. I'll post some pics on the appropriate thread of the pocket rear-rest that I use that allows 0.3/0.5MOA field shooting. (Did you notice the AWP getting quite a lot of 'face time' on the news last night during the arrest ops by the "police" last night [note use of inverted commas!]?)

All the best to all

Matt

That would be good if you could show me your rear rest at the moment I couldn't hit a barn door (1.2moa)!

I was just trying to show the wife that story from yesterday on sky she couldn't understand why I am more interested in the man lying on the floor than what is going on around him!
She finally came up with the word "geek".

Cheers
Jeza

Well i guess i am jumping in on this a little late, but i think we are mixing several subjects and problems all together here. And some of the stuff i feel strongly on.I don't know what where the actual events of this shooting, i wasn't there. I would like to know if its true the guy was bieng held down etc etc.
Now if i had 3 blokes follow/chase me, obviously armed or not, i'd be legging it. If they identified them selves as police officers i'd then stop. But thats me, with the vast majority of UK police bieng not armed, attempting to run away from the police if a form of sport amongst many who have occasion to to be stopped. For petty criminals and people whos's visa / work permits have run out, its a fair gamble, you get away, your home free, they catch you, so you got caught. Its worth the attempt to abscond. and i don't think petty criminal, illegal alien jo public would have realised the possible consequenses of an escape attempt.
The Brit police are im my oppinion and experience vastly incompetent. it stems from lack of training, lack of support and a cancer within the police force called Political Correctness. It is a shame because there are some very fine and upstanding police officers within the british police force, unfortunaltely there are some down right nasty, un trustworthy horrible little power mad bad apples that spoil things a fair bit.
By and large i do not think that a person in the UK joins the Police force through a will to serve his / her community or country.Some do i'm sure, but it is mostly a job like any other, a difficult un rewarding job yes, some join out of a power desire. Now i can see both sides of some of the situation, at least 6 members of my immediate family are serving police officers in variouse parts of the country,and personaly i have been arrested on more than one occasion, am i a criminal. no. ive been arrested on false accusations, ive been arrested for defending my self from harm, ive been arrested for defending my father from a knife attack, only to be up on charges of grievous bodily harm for an action i have no doubt saved my fathers life.For that one i recieved the unjust punnishment of bieng bound over to keep the piece for 2 years,, funnily enough the knife wielding attacker got exactly the same punnishment, some justice! Ive been subjected to a weeks interrogation by an over zealouse police force, after bieng arrested by an armed police unit, bieng subjected to sleep deprivation, food deprivation and other injustices. Why. because some schizophreinic female concocted a cockand bull story about my involvement with a certain Irish terrorist organisation and my alleged activities of illegal gun running. Gentlemen, my only crime was to dump the female in question for a nicer looking one.But it took a large portion of a certain (renoundly incompetent) police force a good week to work out, that not only was there no smoke without fire, but there was no smoke and no damned fire. but they did everything they could to make any cock and bull charge stick and failed and my lawyer had a field day thereafter.
I have also worked with several police units on many occasions during my time as a soldier, i saw great heroism, profesionalism and comtetence and a fair amount of laziness, incompetence, racism. ive seen many sides of Her Majesties Constabulary and feel qualified to pass comment.
Was i ever a criminal? a definate NO. Now i know it must be soul destroying when you do your job as a policeman to the best of your ability to uphold the law, only to have the crown prossecution service buckle at the knee and the bad guy is back on the streets asap. it would make me wonder , why bother?
There is a lack of backing from above for the police officer on the beat. ( same same to a slightly lesser extent British Army)The association of chief police officers are for the most part a group of pompouse PC fools all with an ulterior motive and a desire for knighthood and own career path. Those politicians and law above are just as bad. There is a rot in the police force that needs fixing. It starts at the very top and works its way down. The good officers are powerless against the tide. Misinterpretation and even twisting of the law is rife. There is little desire to implement long term effective preventetive measures at combating crime of all kinds, British justice is all about a quick fix, paying lip service without actualy having the courage and conviction to take effective measures. Why, because the effective nessecary measures might put some voters nose out of joint and offend certain minority groups. We only have to look at the pistol ban to have evidence of one of the most injust, useless, twisted and ineffective parts of UK legislation, but that didn't matter. it was an attempt to gain votes. Why can the active pistol shooter in Germany, Holland and many other EU countries be trusted to own a pistol. Is there something in the charachter of the British person that makes them into a raving murderouse lunatic by just coming into contact with a hand gun? Same can be said for semi auto centre fire rifles. I am English, The German Gov't and Police force trust me to own and use pistols and semi auto rifles, why then doest the Gov't and Police force of my own country?
Coming back to the incident in question, the current situation cannot be used by the police as a free ticket to get some trigger time, if the officers involved truely believed that they and other bystanders where in danger then they where absolutely justified in taking this guy out, however if it is true the guy was restrained and then shot, that to me is an execution. and such methods where practiced by the Gestapo. Yes we( of the guys and gals who put them selves in harms way) are dealing with evil people, and yes i think in certain cases we should fight fire with fire. unfortunately i have a nagging doubt in my mind that the officers involved had recieved enough effective training to be put in the situation they where in and i have a strong suspicion that the whole affaire was bungled, i don't know all the facts, but if that guy had been a suicide bomber, he should have never been allowed to get anywhere near a tube station.
The British police firearms units are notoriouse for bodged operations, for shooting the wrong persons. In my opinion it is due to a selection and training problem combined with poor leadership, poor support,lack of commitment and political correctness.
Yes i'm for capital punishment and hard line policing, but hard line policing should be hard where it needs to be and the people enforcing that should be trained and equiped to know when and where to draw that hard line. The people in charge of those people should have an effective and realistic plan.
I think the times to come are going to realy test the moral fibre of the nation as a whole, i think threats need to be recognised and assessed and obviouse non threats (like legal gun owners) should be left in peace to go about thier lawful activites, hobies and sports instead of un needed control measures bieng a drain on police resources.
Now if our legal system worked as it should, that brazilian guy would have been either sent home to the safety of his own country as his permit ran out, or issued with an extension,. he would then perhaps bieng less inclined to run away. The UK is in a mess, effective laws that have been in place for years are not bieng implemented, new and unnessecary laws are bieng rushed through, some of which are an infringement on freedom and human rights of the British people. This chaos makes it far easier for terrorist cells to operate and for criminals to endulge in crime, it makes a life in freedom and liberty in the Britain of today an almost imposibility. So many issues and contributing factors in so many facets of society need to be addressed before there is any chance of advancement in a positive and just direction.
Now i found the original reason for Matts posting here, the info board comment pretty amusing, but thats our Brit humour, its how we cope and we are renouned for it.
The situation of terrorism, crime and effective measures of dealing with both, requires some very carefull logical and levelheaded consideration. I hope the Politicions and the Police don't dig us into a deeper hole then we are already in.
Pete

They just wouldn't let it lie...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pete, your index fingers OK after all that?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Enough of this sh*te, see if you can expend as much effort coming up with a reason for the MPI shifts I've posted on Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

well i'll have a look Matt..
thing with this politics stuff is that shooting as a sportsman or compettitor is very much a politicaly connected issue these days, and for the UK shooter, who is dependent on his local police force and exactly how they interpret the law. Paranoia due to terrorism has a direct influence on the freedoms we as shooters have.
For instance, just the other day i wanted to export / transfer a rifle to the UK. Had it all jacked up with an appropriate carrier etc,, until they do a final check with thier uk section 5 carrier, and the answer is NO . due to the present security state, they refused to deal with the perfectly legal transfer of a rifle.
It didn't realy matter as i just called another carrier who was more than happy to ablige and i suspect that some one was worried about paperwork and couldn't be bothered or didn't have a clue at the 1st carrier.
But i feel very strongly about the contemp in which we shooters are held by many of the politicians and the large majority of the police force.
There is much talk about not profiling these terrorists etc, not ailienating the muslim population etc, not taring all muslims with the same brush etc..
now if the darned police and politicians would currently care half as much about our rights and freedoms as British Citizens with shooting as a hobby as they do about "British Citizens" of muslim faith then i might be happy. A Brit stalker/hunter of competition shooter is, in the eyes of many a police force and politician, simply an attrocity waiting to happen, hence we are restricted, penalised and hounded, is then not, by the same token, every muslim a suicide bomber in the making? is not every ginger haired paddy an IRA pub bomber, people talk about race relations and race discrimination, but there are far more forms of discrimination than are to do with just your colour or your faith and the descrimination faced by UK shooters is certainly on par by any faced by any non white, muslim of otherwise living in the UK today.
anyway,, i'll have a butchers at your wandering zero probs in a jiffy.
cheers Pete

Without trying to stir the pot this is from timesonline.

"The Brazilian electrician mistakenly killed by police in the aftermath of the second London bombings was being restrained by an officer before he was shot eight times as he was sitting on a Tube train, it emerged tonight.

Witness statements and photographs from an independent police investigation leaked to ITV News also show that Jean Charles de Menezes did not run away from police at Stockwell Tube station in South London and was wearing only a denim jacket before he was shot dead on July 22.

The evidence contradicts claims from the Metropolitan Police at the time that the Brazilian’s "clothing and his behaviour at the station added to their [officers’] suspicions", that he vaulted the ticket barrier and was wearing a heavy overcoat, which could have concealed a bomb.

It also emerged that one of the undercover team keeping Senhor de Menezes’s home under surveillance was relieving himself instead of filming the operation, so officers could not tell if they had tracked down one of the alleged bombers.

His advice was "it would be worth someone else having a look" to ensure they had the right man. No other officer apparently did take a picture of him even though he had to take a bus journey to the station.

Even so, Gold Command at the Yard which was running this operation, declared a "code red" and handed responsibility to CO19 - the firearms team. The armed team had been given photographs of the alleged bombers, yet no one realised that Senhor de Menezes bore no resemblance to any of those men.

The investigation report states that the firearms unit of the police had been told that "unusual tactics" may be required and if they "were deployed to intercept a subject and there was an opportunity to challenge, but if the subject was non compliant, a critical shot may be taken."

CCTV footage clearly shows that Senhor de Menezes was wearing a thin denim jacket so he could not be concealing a bomb and nor was he carrying any bag.

Far from running to avoid police who were tailing him, the electrician did not realise anyone was following him. He used his season ticket and did not vault the barrier. He only began to run when he saw a train pull into the station and as many commuters do he quickened his pace to catch it.

At this point a surveillance officer guided four armed police into the same carriage in which Senhor de Menezes took his seat.

A man sitting opposite him is quoted as saying: "Within a few seconds I saw a man coming into the double doors to my left. He was pointing a small black handgun towards a person sitting opposite me.

"He pointed the gun at the right hand side of the man's head. The gun was within 12 inches of the man's head when the first shot was fired."

The report also reveals for the first time that a member of the surveillance team, who sat nearby, got involved and grabbed Senhor de Menezes before he was shot: "I heard shouting which included the word ‘police’ and turned to face the male in the denim jacket.

"He immediately stood up and advanced towards me and the CO19 officers …I grabbed the male in the denim jacket by wrapping both my arms around his torso, pinning his arms to his side.

"I then pushed him back onto the seat where he had been previously sitting … I then heard a gun shot very close to my left ear and was dragged away onto the floor of the carriage."

Photographs showed how Senhor de Menezes was shot at virtually point blank range as he was still in his seat. A coroner said he was shot seven times in the head and once in the shoulder.

Mark Oaten, Home Affairs Spokesman for the Liberal Democrats, said: "If true, these preliminary findings will create obvious concerns. It is in the best interests of the police and the community for the full report and any recommendations, to be published as quickly as possible."

Sorry for more on this topic but it seems to offer a description of what happened.

ds

Been for a run; it's pouring with rain, what else is there to do now than waste time on LRH….. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Although we're basing this on incomplete documentation leaked by some disloyal member of the IPCC for monetary gain; yes, it now appears that the cumulative effect of –fairly minor- surveillance errors lead to the operators 'at the coal face' being passed duff int/intel.

Remember that they can only act on the int fed to them. Because the 'data' collected by the surveillance units appears to have been mis-assessed, they were launched onto a target clear in their minds [based on an int feed that has now turned out to be erroneous (buy and read 'The Psychology of Military Incompetence' by N F Dixon; this is by no means unique)] that they were facing a suicide bomber. Their actions would have been based on that honest [but now, from our armchairs, wrong] belief.

The padded vs denim jacket issue is an irrelevance, shirts are plenty enough cover for an explosive vest/ other device. Re-read the actions alleged on the train as though you were one of the operators talked onto an individual that the int-feed in your ear has told you is a confirmed suicide bomber.
In that context, I hope you can understand comments like this from a former Commander of the Met:
[ QUOTE ]

It is alleged that a surveillance officer wrapped his arms around Mr de Menezes in an attempt to prevent him from triggering any explosives. The bravery of that officer is extraordinary, and he or she deserves the highest recognition for outstanding courage.

[/ QUOTE ]

On top of this, I still don't understand the desire of the media (who appear to have entirely forgotten the actual terrorist attacks) to pillory the Police; ….maybe they feel it's a target they can get…

[ QUOTE ]

A small group of men set out to kill as many people as possible. They happened to be Muslim and they killed More than 50 people deliberately.

Another small group of men set out to save others from being slaughtered. They happened to be Policemen and they killed one man by a dreadful mistake.

Almost everyone goes to great lengths to acknowledge that because the first group were Muslim does not mean Muslims cannot be trusted. In fact the law forbids that conclusion; it calls it "racism".

Yet because the second group made its awful mistake, there is, in some quarters, a view that the Police cannot be trusted, but no one claims it is "Policism".
Let us be even-handed in our assumptions about what the [errors] of a few say about the character of the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

How's the weather in the Czech republic?

Matt thats simple.. i don't trust either groups. or the politicians.
Brit soldiers get court martialed for abusing prisoners, Canadian soldiers get near enough the same for having photo taken with dead body.
Brit Police bungle up, in thier usual fashion when it comes to the use or admisistration or anything else to do with firearms and we are expected to ignore it in the name of anti terrorism.
Ive got a solution for many of the UK's problems, but it aint PC..
deport all muslims, kill all terrorists and train all police in the proficient use of firearms, enlighten all politicians and chief police officers to the fact that legal use and ownership of private firearms tends to have a positive rather than negative effect on crime.
Put all the money we save now we don't have to pay dole to or house fire breathing mad mullahs and thier folowers, into the education of our children and our national health service.. see how the quality of life in the UK improves over the next 20 years..
heck i should be running the country not Tony..
Pete

Brown Dog,

Weather here is good even hot as in shorts and not much else. However next week I have a fair bit of shooting to do, entertaining a couple police and militery friends so I guess by then it will be raining. Highlight of the week should be a police / military comp with some invites. I am expecting a 20 year old girl to kick evryones butt including mine. It will be worth it just to watch the big police wigs trying not to choke as they give her first prize.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.