Lolo pass pack!

The page where the link went to changed. The first story used to show a pack of 20 something wolves walking single file that some guy photographed from an airplane.

Well that sucks!! I can search it and find it but if I go to there it defaults to the front page, it should be on the 12th in the archived articles but it's gone :rolleyes:

Roy, it was a pic from a plane of the Lolo pack, 25 wolves lined out, it was both awesome and gut wrenching to see!

25 of those big sombitches in a pack.

How many big game animals does that cypher out to be a month.

Just thinkin' here. . . Average size, maybe 90 pounds times 25 = at least a ton of wolf.

How many of the the 25 do the relay thing to run down the big game animal. At least 15 are saving energy that makes for 1500 pounds to hang on anywhere to pull down the animal. Say the kill wolf, if there is such a thing, gets excited or diverted and neglects to stay on task. How much of the elk is eaten while still alive? I figure animals, even humans, go into a certain state when death gets imminent but nevertheless it's not a pleasing thought.

I'm thinkin' a 270 WSM semi-auto, 30 shot clip, built on Barrett type configuration then let those 25 cross in front of that sucker!gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)

Re: Lolo pass pack! - Add'l research

Found a link to the same Montana Outdoor article.

It is dated Feb 2007 and seems to have been circulating around the internet for awhile.

There was some debate on the trapperman forum as to whether the pic was as actually taken near Lolo. Speculation to having been taken in Canada.

May well not have been Lolo in 2007 but if so, ya know where all the elk went.

The posts in the thread stated similar experiences to mine on the 2007 Salmon River Northfork hunt. Very small groups of elk, no spikes and calves only in a herd that summered in backyards of summer residents along the river.

I would suspect that things haven't improved since then. Will know for sure in 2012!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.