local cost of barrel installation

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by partisan1911, Apr 17, 2010.

1. partisan1911

partisan1911 Well-Known Member

I thought a few of you might enjoy seeing what the local gunsmith in my area charges.

So I have collected all the pieces to put my rifle together except the barrel. I went to the local gunsmith here in Fairbanks. He is the only gunsmith in the entire area. I asked him how much for a broughton 26" barrel in .243ai installed and then all my componenets cerakoted. Here is his price breakdown.
    barrel $400
    reamer $250 and he gets to keep it.
    Install $300
    cerakote $300.

If I wanted it fluted +$200, Brake and install $250. He tells me because the price of metal has gone up. I guess I am putting this product on hold until I save up some more money and can ship the components out of state like I have been doing with the rest of my projects.

2. z3ro

z3ro Member

Thats BS. Im work for a wrought iron company. I am both the sales manager as well as a weldor in the shop. Steel has gone up 19 cents a pound locally. I could see there being some difference because of your location, but i still think he s trying to screw you

3. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

wow can anyone say ripoff

4. Willys46

Willys46 Well-Known Member

If he is keeping busy, I'm quitting my job, going to gunsmith school, and moving to Alaska! Heck, you can undercut by almost half and still make a mint!

I would look else where, if you have all the parts, turn around time should be quick. Good luck.

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

How much would it cost you if have it shipped and done in CONUS?

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

He must not realize the market is nation wide these days. I'm not against paying for above average work, but , the price needs to be competitive. You could order that reamer yourself from Manson Reamers, they might even have it on the shelf, $130 or so for a removable pilot finisher, order the barrel from Broughton, they don't offer any discounts 'till you order 5 in one order, w/shipping they're about $350. Even with the added shipping to your local you'd come out ahead. Maybe, he just didn't want the work! It might be he has to "farm it out" and make a profit too. That .243AI is pretty common for 'smiths, that do chambering, to have.

7. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

Oder the reamer yourself and pay $130.00 and keep it. Then find a smith on this site to do the work for you. Shipping is not that expensive.
    I do not know if there is a list of the gunsmiths post on here somewhere, but there should be.

8. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

I'll bet you can find a 'smith that already owns a .243AI reamer and you won't even have to buy one. Reamer charge is usually included in the price of the thread, chamber & crowning unless its something really off the wall, won't use again for 10years, then the customer supplies the reamer.

9. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

Partisan, I recently had a 300 WM built off of my Rem 700 action. My dilema wasn't so much the cost of it but I wanted to find the right smith who had experience building long range rifles. I shipped mine from CA to PA and had Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles (easy to find here on this sight) build it. Couldn't be happier and I new the job was being done right.

10. partisan1911

I have several long range rigs built by some well known gunsmiths but most recently a barrel job is taking a year for these gunsmiths. I was looking at getting a broughton barrel and they normally take 15 weeks to get the barrel out so I understand that. The local gunsmith I figured could get it done sooner than a year but for the prices quoted I can definately wait.

11. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

I can understand that it is a long time frame. When I was researching smiths a lot were in the six month to one year range. I already had the bbl, which was also a Broughton 5C. I think Kevin had it done within about 7 to 8 weeks after I sent it to him.

12. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

This is my gunsmith. He builds and shoots in the BR game. Check his prices:

Untitled Document

13. partisan1911

I ordered a lilja barrel a couple days ago and expect it will be ready in a couple months. My last barrel job is 6 months and still waiting. Can anyone guide me to a gunsmith than can ream a .243 AI, install a barrel on an action, put a coating on the parts in less than 6 months?

14. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

Check out this website, he has your reamer, does Duracoat, also has a quick turn around time.

Montour County Rifles