loads for breaking in a barrel

outdooraddict

OK bro and I finally have the new boomsticks mine a sendero, and his a savage both in 300rum. I am starting to handload aswell I was wondering if we should start with some real light loads or start with what we want to tinker with to hunt i.e. 200gr accubonds or 210gr vlds or lighter 160S or 180s to start. We are both going to send them out to have brakes put on but we want to play a little first:D. Also for punching holes in paper for practice should we shhot hunting loads? As always thanks

I do one of two things when breaking in a new barrel. I either use up some unwated bullets that have been hanging around for awhile or I just go ahead and start my load development. Naturally, that means starting low and working up with data available in the various reloading manuals.

You should always be skeptical of data that is posted on the web. Some is very good and some can be down right dangerous. Posters do, occasionally, make mistakes when posting.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.