loads for 6mm rem in ruger#1

hillbily

hey i'm asking for my brother, he has a ruger#1 in 6mm remington, and would like to work up some long range(400yds+) loads for coyotes i suggested the 107gr A-max, but he was told the ruger won't stabilize a bullet that big, if so what would you guys suggest for bullets and powder

Hillbily, what is the twist on his rifle? My Rem. 700 has a 1 in 9 3/8 I believe and it stabilizes the 105 Grain A-max just fine. I am sure it is close. I think Hornady recommends 1 in 9. My 6mm really like R-22 with this bullet.

I have a friend that has a Ruger #1 in 6mm. He shot an antelope at 350 yards with a 107gr A-max. That tells me that his rifle did not have any trouble stabilizing this bullet.

Hillbily, what is the twist on his rifle? My Rem. 700 has a 1 in 9 3/8 I believe and it stabilizes the 105 Grain A-max just fine. I am sure it is close. I think Hornady recommends 1 in 9. My 6mm really like R-22 with this bullet.

My buddy just handed me his mod 700 6mm rem to work up loads for. The only 6mm I have ever loaded for is my Dasher for 1000 yd BR. Do all of remington's mod 700's in 6mm rem bbl have 1 in 9 ish twist? I am just starting my reserch and figured I would start here. I have some 105 amax and 105 berger vld's that I use for 1K BR. Should I start there, or go a little lighter? All of the 1K guys that I know use 1-8 or 1-7 twist 30" tubes for 105gr - 115 gr bullets.

4xforfun, I think anything marked 6 MM Remington will be a 1 in 9 or 1 in 10. I think only the 244 Remington was 1 in 12 and would not stabilize the 100 + grain bullets. I would try the 105 A-maxs and see. Mine is Rem. 700 VLS, so it has a heavy barrel and laminated stock. Mine likes the A-maxs over the Bergers for what it is worth with R-22. Good Luck. Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help with.

I just did a bunch of cleaning and a little shooting.....BBL is smoked. I did a little ladder testing with rl22 and h1000/ 105 amax. Top usible loads came in at about 3150. 3200-3250...things got a bit hot..:eek:....you know, extreamly stiff bolt.....blown primers...little stuff like that. :eek: Not much faster than my dasher!! When I was checking seating depth...well there was non.....bullet went an inch past where the lands are supposed to start. Time for a 30" 6x47L!! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.