loads for 300 RUM, 200 grain SMK, IMR 4350

NotEnoughTriggerTime

I'm getting ready to start reloading my 300 RUM for the first time. (26" 1:10 barrel)

I'm starting with 200 grain Sierra Match Kings, and have settled on IMR 4350, and Federal 215 primers.

Does anyone have the suggested starting weight, and max weight for this combination?

I have a Nosler manual on hand, but oftentimes the powder charge will vary between bullets.

Thanks!

I got better groups with both H1000 and RL25,..not to take away from your post.

if the mood strikes ya,..try 88gr H1000 behind that pill.

NETT,

I guess that I'm a little more direct than maybe I ought to be so don't consider this as being mean, just straight forward.

IMR-4350 is too fast for your cartridge and bullet combination. JUST C has pointed out the more appropriate burning rate powders for the 300 RUM. I would add that you can also try:

Norma MRP(2)
V V N-170
Ramshot Magnum
MagPro (I haven't tried this yet)
Excellent in all overbore magnums such as the ULTRA magnums from Remington i.e. 7mm RUM, .338
RUM as well as the high performance .338 Lapua Magnum. Excellent flow in progressive auto-loaders
and volumetric dispensing equipment. This is THE magnum rifle powder to have."

AA-8700
H-1000
Re-25

You can do a search here and get some other suggestions from previous posters for surplus powders that will work, as well.

Regards.

[ 04-05-2004: Message edited by: Crispin Goodall ]

Does anyone know what the initial Break In procedure is on a new gun ? I have heard of cleaning the barrel after each round fired for the first ten rounds, then after every 3 rounds fired and so on. Also heard to use light loads and smaller bullets and such but havent seen a procedure. Any Ideas ?

Darn! Another trip to the gun store I guess.
wink.gif

I have a bunch of 4350 on hand, that I use in my 270 win., and have also used it in my 22-250 as well. Hoping to use one powder all the way around. Yeah, they are definety different birds though- -the 270 load takes about 52 grains, the 300 can hold over 100 gr!

The bad thing about the RUM is that a pound of powder only loads about 75 rounds. I probably need to consider an 8 lbs cannister to avoid the hassles with lot variations.

Handloader Mag just published an article on the 300, and their suggestion was 92 gr of RL-25, or 91.5 of H-1000, for roughly 3000 fps with the 200 gr sierra. These loads were shot at 29 degrees F. though. How are these powders affected by temperature?

I run mine on 95.5gr of Retumbo with the 200 gr Accubond. This load yields 3200 fps from my 25.5" K&P barrel.

Chris,..are you at/in/off the lands with that powder charge and 200gr pill?? thanks

NETT,..I have lit mine up with only 88gr of the H1000 in 13degree temps at a match where it hurt to touch the action for more than a few seconds due to the cold metal. My loads I had taken from AT the lands,..to ~.007" into the lands to see if I could pull out an occasional flyer. The bolt lift even in that cold was "slightly" sticky,..so in my throat,..88gr with the 200gr SMK at the lands is a max load,..but accurate.

[ 04-06-2004: Message edited by: JustC ]

I'm tossing 200 grain Accu Bonds with 84.5 grains of Retumbo and a winchester mag primer as my most accurate load to date @ 3006 fps muzzle. The 92 grains sounds way over max load by what I've read. The Hodgdon web site lists 86 grains as max load with a 200 grain bullet. Anyone have a real ACCURATE hunting load they can share that will fit into the mag of a factory BDL?

I shoot 90gr Retumbo and the 200gr Accubond @ 3.660" OAL in my 26" bbl BDLSS, max load is about 92 I believe. I still have not tested accuracy above 90gr though, as it shot so well. It was about 3030 fps over the Oehler M43. I could probably get 3100 fps.

I tried IMR 4350 with the 200 Accubond, but RL22 is a tad slower and I picked up another 30-50 fps at the same pressure with it, Retumbo for max speed no doubt, and it shot supurb too. I think you'll be lucky to get 2900-2950 with 4350, and load density is really low too. 8# containers are really suggested!
grin.gif

I got 3006 fps out of 84.5 grains of retumbo and your only slightly higher with 90 grains??? how does that work?

The 86 grain Retumbo load listed at the Hodgdon web site is with a X bullet. With that bullet H1000 is also listed as being limited to 83 grains. With a 200 gr partition spitzer, per Nosler 5th, H1000 can be taken to 92 gr. Looking at the other bullet data for Retumbo, same Hodgdon source, 180 grain SPBT are listed as 100.5C max charge and a 220 gr Nosler Partition at 89 gr max charge. With a little interpolation, this puts a 200 gr of similar construction and design a max which is a bit more than 86 if my math is correct. More like 94-95. Just an observation, use your own judgement, the above were my guidelines when working up over and back to a "way above max" load of 94gr Retumbo.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.