loadingammo faster than factor weatherby ammo

moosehead7

Does anyone load ammo faster than weatherby ammo, the 300 weatherby 180 tsx has a muzzly velocity of 3250 in 26 inch barrel, can a person load that load faster than weatheby safely. Thanks

Weatherby factory ammo specs are loaded hot as hell.

My .257 Wby likes the factory ammo, but once I loaded for it, they are 150-200 fps slower, but it likes them better and they're more accurate. But that's just my experience. I loaded a bunch of different .300 Wby loads for a buddy of mine to test to see what his rifle likes, but he hasn't shot any of them yet.

What Muddy says.
If you want beter than 3200'ish with a 300 roy and a 180 get a 300 rum or 30-378 roy. I'll take mid-loads in the 300 rum and do 3300 fps with her with 180's.

Weatherby ammo can be loaded to have quite a bit higher velocity and flatter shooting than factory offerings. A few different measures have to be done to get this right. COAL has to be adjusted to fit the magazine length. Bullet bearing surface has to be taken into account. On the new big 378 based magnums I like to use the Win Mag Primers in place of the 215 Federals. Weatherby likes heavy for caliber sized bullets. .I will give a example of exceeding factory Velocity and ballistics. 338-378 Weatherby, rl25, 112.5 gr. Moly coated 252gr Cutting edge bullet. 3.85 coal, Electro polished bore by Blackstar industries (DUPONT) win mag primer. 3273fps. hits like a hammer and NOTHING WALKS AWAY. Used this last year on Cape Buffalo in Limpopo SA. Dropped it at 165 yds. PH said he never seen anything like it. Complete pass through. No factory ammo does this. Long range it should hit harder than any edge or rum, Lapua etc. Only Weatherby can accomplish this in a factory sammi cartridge.

For starters, every barrel is a little bit different. Start by chronographing your present factory ammo. I have seen many factory Weatherby's that got no where close to advertised velocity with factory ammo. Next seat your bullets to magazine length and start working up your powder charge. With the longer seating of the bullet, more room for powder and lower pressure. See where you end up for your particular gun. Pick the right powder also.

Ok everyone, what will do more damage out of a 300 weatherby for deer, moose, and elk from 10 to 250 yards a 165 tsx shot faster or the heavier, slower 180 tsx. Thanks.

I have on many occasions been able to push bullets faster than factory ammo.RL25 Fed 215's and running them at 3.8 mag length example I have run 250 gr at 3250 fps with no pressure issues. Alot of load data and factory ammo for the 338-378 is not being loaded to it's potential because they are afraid of guys trying to run them in a less than adequate action /custom build and have liability issues

Ok everyone, what will do more damage out of a 300 weatherby for deer, moose, and elk from 10 to 250 yards a 165 tsx shot faster or the heavier, slower 180 tsx. Thanks.

I've killed deer with a .257 Wby....It's not necessarily about size, more than it is about shot placement.

If you're shooting a .300 Wby for max 250 yards, you might wanna consider a different caliber. That's alot of horsepower for a 250 yard max... Just my opinion.

A .308 Win would be perfect, if you want to stick with .30 cal... Also, the Berger 168 VLD's, Nosler 165 Accubonds, Hornady 178 A-Max, those should all be formidable opponents to deer.

However, keep in mind about keeping the .300 Wby for long-range hunting, and getting a smaller caliber for closer shots. I feel confident with my little .257 Wby on deer out to 750 yards shooting the Berger 115 VLD's.

Also, like I said, my groups are more consistant and tighter with my slower reloads than the hotrod factory Wby ammo.

Deer aren't usually hard to kill, but for elk and moose, a minimum of 180 grains would be my choice to make sure you can penetrate a shoulder bone if needed.

D.Camilleri; With the longer seating of the bullet, more room for powder and lower pressure.

Actually, the reverse is true about pressure; seating rifle bullets closer to the lands increases peak pressure. That's why Roy put such long freebore in his chamber specifications.

D.Camilleri; With the longer seating of the bullet, more room for powder and lower pressure.

Actually, the reverse is true about pressure; seating rifle bullets closer to the lands increases peak pressure. That's why Roy put such long freebore in his chamber specifications.

Actually, I am quoting Brian Litz who states that loading a cartridge to longer than saami specs increases case capacity thus lowering pressure and allowing a larger powder charge to be loaded netting increased velocity. You are however correct that seating a bullet very close to the lands can increase pressure, but I never stated to seat so far as to touch the lands. On all of my Ultra mags, I seat the bullets to max magazine length and I am still short of the lands by .090. So, I gain velocity without increasing pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.