loading for a .30-06

rdsii64

My wife has informed me that I need to start looking a putting together a new hunting rig. ( as soon as I finish my AR). In another post I defined my caliber of choice as the good ole' fashioned .30-06. Now I'm reseaching possible projectiles that will give me an extra large helping of smack down and a side order of reach.

According to the JBM site, with an advertised G1 BC of .588 a 200 grain accubond leaving the muzzle at 2600 FPS with fly strait and true a lot farther than I can shoot and have plenty of smack down when it gets there.

As a result, I have settled on the 200 grain Nosler Accubound. What I would like to know is if I can reasonably expect to drive such a heavy that fast in an '06.

Norma factory 30-06 ammo drives the 200gr Oryx at 2625 fps mv.

And, the published Max load for H4831 with the Nosler 200gr AB shows 2586 fps mv.

So, it's probably within reason with proper load workup, barrel length, etc. and, provided that your accuracy is what you want at that velocity in your rifle.

In any case, you should be able to get plenty close.

rdsii44,
How long is your barrel? If 24" you should be able to get the 200gr to 2600fps.
My longest big game shot/kill was 446 yards( yes, a chip shot for most of the guys here) 165gr A-Frame at 2850fps. Cow elk broadside,standing still,zero wind,on a bipod with good rest, really knew the trajectory for that load, and I have/do shoot that rifle (has 22 7/8 in barrel) quite a bit. It is because of that situation that I went to a 300wm with 25in barrel.
The 06 with the load you want will do the job. My advice: practice a lot and get to know the drop for your load. My .02
Jeff

RD- You do not say what you are shooting at. you do not say what rifle. the accubond is a good bullet and the 30-06 is one of my favorite rounds. i have more 30-06s than any other . i shoot a lot of 168 bergers. for real long range there are 210 bergers. on 24hour campfire there are lots of threads on the 30-06. also riflemans journal . if 200 grain accubond was my bullet of choice i would buy a rifle with a little larger powder capacity .

if 200 grain accubond was my bullet of choice i would buy a rifle with a little larger powder capacity .

I agree due to its construction. It will need a little higher velocity to open up and do its job. It was suggested to be to use the 200 SGK in my .308 Win due to a lower velocity to open. It is suggested it needs 1500fps vs 1800 for the Accubond to work correctly. Just a thought. I would look into the Berger 185, 190, and 210. I would also look for some Hornady 208's, but they seem to be pretty scarce right now.

Tank

[...]
Now I'm reseaching possible projectiles that will give me an extra large helping of smack down and a side order of reach.
[...]
The limiting factor I see with the Accubond may be the recommended impact velocity of 1800 fps. With 2600 fps MV, you'll be down to about 1783 fps at 600 yds.

So, you might go to a lighter bullet or a something like the Berger which will expand at longer ranges.

Now if you're shooting coyotes at 600+yds, expansion may not matter much anyway.

RD- You do not say what you are shooting at. you do not say what rifle. the accubond is a good bullet and the 30-06 is one of my favorite rounds. i have more 30-06s than any other . i shoot a lot of 168 bergers. for real long range there are 210 bergers. on 24hour campfire there are lots of threads on the 30-06. also riflemans journal . if 200 grain accubond was my bullet of choice i would buy a rifle with a little larger powder capacity .
I didn't mention the rifle because I have not decided on an action yet. This is going to be a semi custom rifle. What I can tell you is its entended purpose is medium range large game rifle. I will define medium range as not longer than 400 yards. I will define large game as mule deer, elk and black bear. What drew me to the 200 grain accubond was its advertised BC. At 2600 it stays supersonic to almost 1200 yards ( on paper anyway) To me this ment that ranges I plan to use it (out to 400 yards) it will still maintain the lions share of its muzzle velocity with plenty of smack down. Lastly, with a good brake, this will hopefuly be a soft shooting combination. Also, since I am only in the research phase right now, all options are still on the table.

I didn't mention the rifle because I have not decided on an action yet. This is going to be a semi custom rifle. What I can tell you is its entended purpose is medium range large game rifle. I will define medium range as not longer than 400 yards. I will define large game as mule deer, elk and black bear. What drew me to the 200 grain accubond was its advertised BC. At 2600 it stays supersonic to almost 1200 yards ( on paper anyway) To me this ment that ranges I plan to use it (out to 400 yards) it will still maintain the lions share of its muzzle velocity with plenty of smack down. Lastly, with a good brake, this will hopefuly be a soft shooting combination. Also, since I am only in the research phase right now, all options are still on the table.

For that distance, i would go with a 175 to 180 class bullet with a 1:12 twist barrel. I would push that sucker as hard as it can and maintain accuracy. This will get you to 400+ easy. This will minimize recoil and put the smack down on anything in North America at that range. You could even go to 600+ if you had too.

Tank

There are a number of factory ammo choices that should be good to 400 yds. So, any of the above suggestions should exceed your expectations.

I would lean towards the 1:10 twist. Overspinning a lighter bullet for medium range shooting is less problematic than underspinning a VLD for long range.

i do not know how many mule deer, elk or bear you have shot- however , with a 26" krieger( or equivalent barrel with 1 in 10 or 11 twist) could use a 165, 180 or 200 partition or accubonds in the same weight. i have not run the numbers , but with the 165 or 180 you will probably have less drop and windage, and more energy out to at least 500 yards than the 200.

i do not know how many mule deer, elk or bear you have shot- however , with a 26" krieger( or equivalent barrel with 1 in 10 or 11 twist) could use a 165, 180 or 200 partition or accubonds in the same weight. i have not run the numbers , but with the 165 or 180 you will probably have less drop and windage, and more energy out to at least 500 yards than the 200.
I haven't shot any yet. So far my hunting experience has been confined to pigs and coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.