loading .40 sw

skywarn

Do all brands of reloading dies for .40sw have a taper crimp in them? What brand should I start with and what powder should I use? So far I have only used rcbs dies for rifle and revolver loads.

Get you a set of Lee Carbide dies with the Factory Crimp Die. This die will taper crimp but it also makes sure that the whole case is within specks. I use the Lee Factory Crimp die on all my semi-auto ammo and all the malfunctions have gone away. The Lee dies cost less also and are just a good as any other makers plus they stand behind what they sale. With the 40 S&W be sure and check the web of the cases. Most pistols do not have a fully supported chamber and they will bulge at the web and after a couple of reloads it can be weak and crack and or you can have a blow out.

Hodgdon Longshot seems to be about the best powder for full velocity loads.

I have a set of Hornady carbide dies that seem to work fine. The taper crimp is contained in the seating die. I use Power Pistol powder for both .40 and 9mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts